Saturday, September 3, 2011

Turkey Run!

This was the trip that almost didn't happen.  An infected spider bite left me with a swollen foot that needed to be elevated and watched closely.  We even cancelled our reservations, but when an antibiotic began to quickly help my symptoms I called back and found we could still get our cabin.  My foot felt better just in time for miles of hiking!!

Our terrific trio, who all love to hike now.
Is it possible to have swarms of hummingbirds?  If so, that's what we saw.  There were usually about 10 at a time trying to land on this feeder.
Observing honeybees...this counts as a field trip, right?  There was a free planetarium show, too!
When I scoured the maps to see where to hike, I was looking for moderate trails.  However, try as we could to find trail 10, we ended up on 3, which is rugged.  I protected my foot, but everyone else got theirs wet. (Now we know why they sell socks at the gift shop!)  Eric had to carry Josiah on his back across the water here. The trail was tough, be we were rewarded with beautiful scenery and plenty of adventure, including a glimpse at a salamander.
Stopping for a snack and drink break is vital!
Looking out over Camel's Back.
Eating supper on the deck behind our cabin.  Eric said this is the only way he ever wants to camp.
Behind the cabin...gorgeous...I mean, a gorge.  We fell asleep to the sound of the crickets.
I had to keep reminding myself that most kids were in school.  We had the trails, the pool, the whole park almost to ourselves.  Homeschooling has its perks.  Remind me of that come January, please!!
He conquered it!  While I spent most of my time looking for the easiest route, Micah spent most of his time making us nervous by finding the most dangerous one.
And speaking of dangerous, we thought once we'd tried one rugged trail, we were good for any of them.
No fear here.  Gotta love these kids.

Can you see the trail?  Me neither, but it's there.  I kept a death grip on Josiah's hand and reminded everyone to look up from time to time to see the beauty.  This was Gypsy Gulch.
Our destination: a covered bridge.  "Cross at a walk."  That meant the horses, and four-year-olds, of course.
I hoped Eric had a death grip on him this time!

When we got home, my dear, dear daughter who used to complain every time we hiked said she missed Turkey Run and loved the adventure.  It's only 2 hours away across the border in Indiana.  I'm sure we'll go back!!

No comments: