Thursday, December 18, 2008

rock with you?

When Josiah was placed in my arms moments after he was born, I immediately noticed my first clue into the personality God had already wired into this tiny child: he had opinions! His opinion about birth was quite evident: he was mad!!! A few days later this small, helpless (oh yeah?) child raised his head off my shoulder as though he was quite eager to let it be known he was strong and no longer an extension of my flesh. In a few weeks we were well into his struggle with reflux, and it was of his opinion that he should not be rocked. Not at all. Not ever. Not even when Mommy broke her foot and couldn't put weight on it without it hurting. Not when we were exhausted and it was the middle of the night and he was almost asleep. Do not rock this boy.

He's just past his second birthday now, and after his surgery last week I've heard a curious request: "Rock with you?" What, my child? You want to rock? Let me put aside any and everything on my to do list, and we shall rock. I am going to soak these moments up like a sponge!!!

One of the wonders of the challenges I have faced with Josiah (reflux the first nine months, followed by a year and a half of health issues) is how blessed my relationship with him has been. When Josiah was 5 weeks old and screaming with reflux, there was a desperate moment when I lifted him up to me and whispered in his ear, "little one, whatever you face, we are going to get through it together as God helps me." When the going gets tough for him and I am at the end of my rope, I have remembered that promise. Now I see a little boy who has learned to trust his mama, loves to please her, and is calmed whenever he knows she is near.

Isn't that so like our relationship with the Lord? We know the promises He has made to us, and through difficulties we learn to trust, grow in our love to please Him, and are comforted by His presence. His love for us in manifested in the grace He extends each day, and in the wondrous ways He works. Our relationship is blessed through difficulties as we learn to rest our heads on His strong shoulder. Psalm 131:2-3 "But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord, both now and forevermore."

It's just wonderful to rock with someone who wants to!

No comments: