Friday, January 20, 2012

our version of Paleo bread

This is one of Josiah's favorite snacks.  Once again, Cha Cha's blog has been a treasure trove of ideas for gluten free baking and that's where I first saw this, but it originally came from Elana's Pantry, and there are some great recipes there, too!  Almonds are "stage 2" on the Feingold diet, and a little test last week showed me that Josiah can tolerate almonds in Larabars.  Still, I like using pecans in something he's eating on a daily basis.  The original recipe also calls for apple cider vinegar which is also stage 2.  I'm sure that using regular vinegar changes the taste a bit, but I hear no complaints.  Eric and I like this bread, too, but the older kids aren't fans.  That's Ok, it means a loaf can be cut up and put in the freezer to last Josiah over a week.  That makes it great for a grab and go snack that actually fills him up.

Pecan Bread
1 1/2 c. ground pecans (the original recipe calls for almond flour)
2 T. coconut flour
1/4 c. flaxseed meal
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking soda
5 eggs
1/4 c. coconut oil
1 T. honey
1 T. vinegar

Place pecans, coconut flour, flax, salt, and baking soda in a food processor.  Pulse ingredients together.  Pulse in eggs, honey, and vinegar.  Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Cool and serve.

5 comments:

chacha said...

You are so clever! I love the idea of using pecans - can't wait to try it. =D

leah said...

A couple of years ago, I barely cooked from scratch. What a learning curve this has been! I have a bag of almond flour in the freezer and hope to try the "real" version soon.

Let me know how it turns out if you do get to try it.

chacha said...

Leah, I finally got to make your version and absolutely loved it! Joe liked the almond meal version but really liked yours better!

amycaseycooks said...

I have a personal chef client who is always on the lookout for new gf baked goods to try. I will be suggesting this tasty bread for this week.

Matt Louis said...

I replaced the flax with 1/8 cup of duck fat and doubled the honey. Very good bread. Thanks.