Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook



Outside my window...there is a hint of fall in the air most days.  The garden is neglected and dying but still forgiving in producing tomatoes and peppers.  Today I picked most of the carrots.  They were either huge or tiny.  I have a lot to learn about gardening.

I am thinking...that the scope of human suffering since creation is greater than I ever imagined.  There are so many people without hope in this world.  Why should I be numbered among those who have it?

I am thankful...for our new neighbors.  They are a homeschooling family with 4 kids.  Who but God can think up things like this?

From the learning rooms...we are leaving Australia soon for New Zealand.  This week we added dress ups to our writing.  Suddenly and amazingly, the kids thought up a myriad of -ly words and soon were calling me "Mommily."  Even Josiah did it, though he hadn't a clue why.  We abandoned vocabulary workbooks in favor of vocabulary notebooks.  The kids are required to find at least 5 words a day in their reading and then define the words using a dictionary, then choose a special few to use in a sentence.  Micah prefers using the book version of a dictionary; Rachel likes to use the one online.  I'm praying the one who struggles with vocabulary is learning, and already see progress.  Clarinet has been a great switch for Rachel.  She sounds better every day. 

In the kitchen...as many recipes as I post here, I still feel like I should be cooking more.  I'm finding inspiration in scouring cookbooks for ethnic food, so that's a start.  Josiah is perpetually hungry so we are using his Judy clock to show him the next time he will be eating.  It has helped immensely.

I am going...to have to find some way to keep my kids clothed during growth spurts. 

I am wondering...how making such a small commitment to read the Bible together as a family could be such a blessing?  This morning Josiah sat and "read" his little picture Bible by himself because he knows his brother and sister read theirs first thing in the morning, too.

I am reading...about the Mongols and Genghis Khan.  And finding out how very ignorant I am of the world I live in.  It's humbling.

I am hoping...to grow in humility and not get proud about it.

I am looking forward to...a field trip to Shedd Aquarium very soon.  The last time we were there, Rachel was still a baby.

Around the house...we are working on replacing broken blinds and outdated curtains.  A little at a time so it doesn't add up all at once.

One of my favorite things...is hearing my kids giggle together. 

A few plans for the rest of the week: the first Awana for my youngest son.  I wasn't going to sign him up but was swayed by the enthusiasm of a friend.  And I'm so glad...he already loves learning the verses!

Here is a picture I am sharing of my oldest son being baptized.  He has waited a long time for this day and his face was radiant with joy.

No comments: