Saturday, September 4, 2010

how to live without chocolate or tomatoes...

Has it been 3 weeks, or 4? How can I have possibly lost track?

When was the last time I had some chocolate? And when did my cravings for it disappear?

(I don't mind the 4 pounds I've lost in the meantime.)

You can make pasta without tomato sauce? And pizza?

(I can't seem to leave tomato off my sandwich, nor ignore the fresh ones that keep showing up on my kitchen counter. But I have been able to cut my need for antacid medication in half.)

So, the changes that have been good for my son have proven to also be good for me. And here are some incredible recipes that have made this possible.

Alfredo Sauce
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c. milk
1 4. oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 c. grated Parmesan
1 pinch nutmeg (optional)

Heat butter and milk over med. heat. Add cream cheese and whip with whisk until smooth. Turn heat to low and add Parmesan cheese and nutmeg (if desired). Heat on med. until thick, stirring constantly to keep from sticking. Remove from heat.

Serve over spaghetti or fettucine.

Caramel Sauce
2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. unsalted butter
1 c. minus 1 T. whipping cream
2 T. vanilla

Combine brown sugar, butter, and cream in heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 3 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Spoon over ice cream or other desserts. (Or eat it straight from the spoon.)

Note: Sauce will keep for several weeks. (Ha! Not at our house!)

The good news is, Josiah is so stable now on Feingold we are almost ready to start testing in some of the fruits and vegetables we've had to avoid for a couple of months. That means tomatoes may be back, though perhaps less frequently. My stomach seems to like the break, and many kids who are chemically sensitive can't handle large quantities of these foods. Chocolate, however, will remain at a distance for the time being.

Our next challenge: learning to live without McDonald's french fries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was telling a friend all about your findings related to this program, and the discussion brought forth several curiosities that I thought I would pose to you for future posts!

1. What does a typical day of eating consist of? Could you give a meal and snack menu?

2. Have you seen your grocery bill increase due to these changes?

3. Could you give a before/after listing of the foods you used to prepare and the substitutes you've found? More like a listing of dishes before vs. after.

leah said...

I've thought about doing exactly that, but was afraid maybe I was becoming too diet-obsessed. :) Look for your idea in a future post!