Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ten Questions about Homeschooling

My friend had these questions on her blog yesterday, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading her responses.  I don't feel like we've been homeschooling long enough to be any sort of expert on the subject, but her offer to play along was so gracious and inviting, I couldn't help myself. 

1. One homeschooling book you have enjoyed.

So far one of my favorites has been Genghis Kahn and the Mongol Horde.  Before I read this book, Genghis Kahn was just a name whose story I had really never heard.  He was terror in his time, but conquering most of Asia and parts of Europe connected the east to the west for the first time in history.  That led to a certain explorer looking for a water route to the West Indies, which led to the discovery of America, which eventually led to an explosion in missions.  Man looks on this and sees an advance in technology and globalization, but in God's hands it has led to the spread of the gospel.  Seeing His story woven into history is amazing!

2. One resource you wouldn’t be without.

Our writing program.  I have watched my children's eyes light up as they have begun to play with words and write stories.  What a delight for this grammar-loving, wish-I-could-spend-more-time-on developing-my-writing, language arts oriented mom.  (We're all wired differently, and may as well let our passions spill over to our kids, right?)

3. One resource you wish you had never bought.

I think I was a classic first year homeschooler and overbought.  But, it's hard to know what you're going to like until you use it.  Anxious to get everything organized, I bought a cheap planning program, and then found something free on the internet that is much more user friendly.  There are still some fun templates I may use, so not all is lost. 

4. One resource you enjoyed last year.

Since Josiah was my only student last year, I'd have to say his preschool curriculum.  Oddly enough, I'm not enjoying the second half, perhaps because it took a turn into academics I'm not anxious to tackle with him until kindergarten.  I've mostly shelved it to use real books and other resources that cover the same things in a different way.

5. One resource you will be using next year.

Not sure yet, beyond knowing I'd like do to Sonlight World History part 1 with Rachel and their one year world history with Micah.  I think I have hatched a plan to keep them in basically the same Core for the next three years.  That's assuming there will be more years to come, which I think we are all excited to think about but it's too early to know the final decision.  Oh, and I'm hoping to love Apologia Science (sometimes anticipation is more fun than reality).  A glance at Rachel's notebooking journal made me wish I had one, too!  We'll know more in a few weeks.

6. One resource you would like to buy.

I don't know yet.  I'm hoping to go to a conference this spring to salivate over look at curriculum.  I do know I'd really like a Nook Kindle Fire. That qualifies as a homeschooling resource, doesn't it?

7. One resource you wish existed.

A perfect spelling program for my daughter that would transform her overnight.  Ha!!  And really, she's not a bad speller, I am just a perfectionist in this area.  (Ahem, except for my own typos, which I'm sure rarely appear here.)

8. One homeschool catalog you enjoy reading.

Sonlight and Rainbow Resource.  What more is there?  I will now be checking out the art supply catalog mentioned by my friend in answer to this question on her blog.

9. What homeschool subject gives you the most frustration or anxiety?

I thought it would be science, but instead I'm fascinated.  Still a little nervous about experiments, though, especially with two children in different curriculums.  We'll make it somehow.  I'm trying a pre-made supplies kit for one student and if it helps, next year we'll get them for both.

10. What is your greatest challenge in homeschooling right now?

I love, love, love homeschooling, but also have an unspent passion for the ministry I had to leave and the dear women God is drawing to Himself through His Word.  My heart sometimes feels torn in two, but it has been precious to cling to God and trust Him with the things He has called me to do.  My eyes are on Him to see what He has in mind, as I believe both passions are God-given.

How about you?  Feel free to join our party and play along!

No comments: