Friday, August 6, 2010

training a little disciple

"But I don't want to..."

These are the words that I hear most often when I give my youngest son a direction. Granted, he's strong-willed, so it doesn't surprise me to hear them anymore. However, to a parent who greatly desires and expects obedience, they never cease to be a bit offensive not only to my ears but also to my heart. God has entrusted this little will of steel to me to mold and shape, so I prayed for wisdom, took Josiah up into my lap, and told him this story from Luke 5:

There was once a young man named Simon. Simon loved to fish. He loved it so much that when he grew up, he decided to become a fisherman. Every night Simon got in a boat, rowed out into the lake, and caught fish. He knew where the best fishing spots were, and he was a very good fisherman.

One night, Simon went out into the lake just as he always did. He threw out his net, pulled it in, and looked. No fish. So he threw out his net again, pulled it in, and looked again. Still no fish. So he tried again, all night long. But he didn't catch anything.

The next morning Simon rowed his boat in to shore. He got out of the boat and began to wash his nets. While he was doing this, he looked up and saw Jesus coming toward him. Jesus asked Simon if He could use his boat. Simon said yes, and let Jesus use his boat as a place to sit and teach a large crowd of people. Simon listened very carefully to the words Jesus said, and began to love Jesus very much.

When Jesus was done teaching, He turned to Simon. "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." Simon didn't like Jesus' direction. He was a good fisherman, and he had spent all night fishing and hadn't caught anything. He didn't think that going back out into the water was a good idea at all. But Simon loved Jesus. So he said, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."

Simon obeyed Jesus by rowing his boat out to the deep water and putting out his nets. You'll never believe what happened next! The nets began to fill with fish!!! One fish, two fish, so many fish began to fill the nets that Simon could hardly believe his eyes. His nets were so full they began to break. Simon fell down at Jesus' feet and worshipped Him, saying, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man." Jesus was kind to Simon even though he had not wanted to obey. He blessed Simon, and Simon knew Jesus was treating him in a way he didn't deserve. He was showing Simon great love, and Simon worshipped Jesus because of it.

Josiah, God has given you one command, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Because God loves you and knows what is best for you, He gave you a Mommy and Daddy to help you learn to do what is right. Even when you don't want to obey, remember how much Jesus loves you. When Mommy gives you a direction, I want you to begin thinking, "Because you say so, I will." You can obey God by obeying Mommy, just like Simon obeyed Jesus. When you obey God this way, you will be showing your love to Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teaching with story--what a creative way to explain obedience. I can picture you enfolding him in your arms, on your lap, taking time to shower him w/love and attention that will train him to obey. So sweet! Thanks for sharing how to parent in this teaching manner.

leah said...

Erin--It amazes me how God's word captures the heart and attention of children. Josiah was captivated by this story. However, a few days later he was literally telling me, "Because you say so, I WON'T!!" Truly there is a battle going on for his heart. Today has been better and I've been reminding him of Simon Peter's words right when Josiah obeys. "See, you're doing it just like Peter!" And today before his nap, Josiah asked, "Mommy, tell me the story again. About Peter?"