Friday, July 30, 2010

in the kitchen this week...

Going additive-free is a challenge, but it's not impossible. When I joined the Feingold program, I received a recipe book, a foodlist of appropriate foods, and access to a member's bulletin board, so I've had a lot of help. Still, after doing some shopping I can see there are some things that are hard to find or very pricey. So I've been spending more time in my kitchen this week, trying to come up with food for our family to eat. Here's what we've done so far:

-Sandwich bread
I'm thankful for our bread machine! The kids give it two thumbs up. I made enough to put an extra loaf in the freezer, so we're in good shape.

-Honey mustard chicken
Eric said these were better than the chicken fingers at his favorite restaurant. THAT is quite the compliment.

-Carob syrup
It takes Josiah 3 days to stop reacting to chocolate after he's had even a bite. This alternative didn't look, smell, or taste that great to me, but Rachel and Josiah both seem to love it on their vanilla ice cream.

-White pizza
I never expected this to be a hit and served it alongside our favorite frozen variety (which isn't on our foodlist), just in case. It was preferred by everyone over the frozen pizza. Homemade wheat crust, topped with white sauce seasoned with oregano and basil. It tasted like breadsticks!

-Granola bars
I received this recipe from my sister-in-law a few years ago and already knew we loved it. They are flavored with peanut butter and cinnamon, but this time I had to leave out the chocolate chips. I'm trying not to miss them too much. The kids don't care at all.

-Popsicles made from pear juice
Kids are resilient. A popsicle is a popsicle.

-Knox blocks flavored with juice
These are better than jello! We rarely ate jello anyway, but I bought 3 more boxes of Knox this week. Josiah liked his flavored with papaya juice.

-Mango juice
Who knew this would be such a hit with my youngest? He doesn't like carrots, so here's a new source of vitamin A.

I spent hours in the kitchen on Mon. and Tues. The contractor who is working on our window walked through on Tues. afternoon and said, "Wow, there are always wonderful smells coming out of your kitchen. Do you bake like this every day?"

Hilarious to think a comment like that would ever be directed at me!

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Go Leah!!! Love reading about all the food you are making!

leah said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Cooking is more fun than I thought...er...at least the eating part. I'd be having a lot more trouble if it weren't for your help. Thanks so much!

Beth said...

So...we need details about the additive free diet. =)