Wednesday, July 22, 2009

keeping it in perspective

I enjoyed a rather humorous moment in Bible study at our church this summer. We were working through an introduction on Colossians, and talking about the false teaching of legalism Paul deals with in chapter 2. Most of us had a heading in our Bible over chapter 3 that read something along the lines of "Rules for Holy Living." Many of the women bristled over the use of the word "rules." Wasn't that what Paul had just argued against in chapter 2? Living by rules? Why be loosened from them in one chapter only to be shackled again in the next?

What perhaps strikes me as most humorous is the fact I had completely missed the irony when I read that heading on my own. I've always had a rather compliant personality, and rather than resist rules, I appreciate them because they let me know what is expected of me. Please, give me some guidelines...for living, for friendship, for social situations especially, because I am completely clueless how to act without them. I'm not saying this is an aspect of my personality that is a complete asset. But it does make me easy to live with. Just let me know what the rules are, and I'll comply.

Perhaps there are some who have wondered why I am not following the rules of grammar, then, in capitalizing my blog posts? Did I miss that lesson in English class? No, not at all. But I have to admit I was delighted to think...this is my blog. Hey, that means, I get to make the rules. And break them if I want to. So I'm not gonna capitalize (or always use good grammar.) Because this is one place I can operate outside of the rules.

Maybe it is the rebel in me finally raising it's ugly head. But I have to admit there is another way to look at things.

The way I see it, God is the only true proper noun in life. All else that happens to me, to my family, the activities I post or the pictures I take, need to be viewed in their proper significance. Which is, that while I do believe each of us are significant to God, anything He does is far greater than what I can post here. I want to live in light of His greatness.

So I will keep on posting with lowercase letters.

And if He has some rules for holy living that He'd like me to follow, I'm willing to submit to His authority. God's "rules" are far different that man's, and He supplies what is needed to follow them by the resurrection power and righteousness of His Son. "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:36)

No comments: