Monday, January 2, 2012

A is for avocado

Just a few weeks ago, I could count on one hand the number of times I had eaten avocado.  I had to research how to buy them and what to do with them once I had one home.  In the midst of that research, I found many reasons to make avocado part of our regular diet.  Once I found an easy guacamole recipe, there was no turning back.

Just a few of the health benefits of avocados:

-In one study, 45 volunteers experienced an average drop in cholesterol of 17% after eating avocados for only one week.  This is due to a compound that naturally lowers cholesterol.

-Low glycemic value means it's great for regulating blood sugar.

-Cancer and stroke prevention

-When avocados are eaten with other foods (like salad), it boosts absorption of key nutrients up to five times! 

-Great source of Vitamin E, Vitamin K, and fiber.

-Although high in fat, avocado has unique properties in the fat that are great health benefits such as lowering inflammation and the risk of heart disease.

Although you can easily slice avocado and add it to a salad, my favorite way to eat them is in guacamole.  I use the following recipe, but often just use one avocado and thus less of the other ingredients.  It's best to eat this the same day you make it because mashed avocado does quickly turn brown.  (Lemon juice helps slow that down.)  I can also scoop out a little for Josiah before adding the tomato and he will eat it with corn chips.

Leah's Favorite Guacamole

3 avocados
2 T. lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
1 t. salt
1/2 c. diced onion
3 T. chopped fresh cilantro (I also use dried if I don't have fresh on hand and actually prefer it)
2 roma tomatoes
1 t. minced garlic

Mash avocados in juice and salt.  mix remaining ingredients and refrigerate one hour. (If you can wait that long.)

Great dip with tortilla chips or raw veggies.

No comments: