Wednesday, January 18, 2012

keeping up with the cooking

Things have been getting pretty busy at our house lately, but cooking is a matter of survival when there is a gluten free diet to consider.  I've made these rolls from Cha Cha's blog before, but after some trouble with gooey middles it seems this week I've finally been able to get them to come out right.  The secret (besides following the directions) seems to be making sure I get the rolls flat enough before I bake them.  The kids are devouring them, and it is a good example that gluten free bread can not only be delicious but also incredibly nutritious!!  The only tinkering I've done with Cha Cha's recipe is to leave out the garlic since I tend to have an allergic-type reaction to that particular ingredient.  My garlic-loving kids dip them in olive oil mixed with basil, oregano, Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt so they don't miss out on taste.

Easy Hummus Pitas

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare two large baking sheets by lightly oiling.

In a blender, puree:
1 can organic garbanzo beans with liquid
¾ cup olive oil
2T lemon juice
2 large eggs
4T finely milled golden flax
1T sunflower seed butter
1 clove garlic

In a large bowl mix hummus mixture and:
1 lb bag tapioca flour
1T baking powder
½ t sea salt

Mix until well incorporated.  Using lightly oiled hands to shape the breads divide into 12 pieces and shape into circles about 1/3 inch thick.  Bake them for ten minutes, flip them over and baked for about ten more.

These would be great with any Italian meal; we've even had them for breakfast.  I just ordered more tapioca starch and stocked up on garbanzo beans so we can make more soon.

2 comments:

chacha said...

I'm excited these are working for you now! xo

leah said...

Me, too! They are so yummy and something everyone likes. Thanks for helping me with it.