Saturday, January 7, 2012

cooking around the world: Russia

Next week we will be back in the swing of things with school, but even with time off this week we were able to accomplish some school-related activities.  Last night we tried our Russian meal of blinis and made some raspberry kisel.  For every country or region we study, the kids choose a project to do, and if there is something to cook, Rachel is always on it!!

Our blini recipe was well tolerated by the kids, but the pancakes turned out rather chewy so I'm not going to post it here.  Eric stopped on the way home and picked up fresh raspberries and we all did enjoy those as a pancake topping!!  We used a blini recipe that called for regular flour, but the more authentic version uses buckwheat.  That idea intrigues me since buckwheat is gluten free, but I wasn't able to find any in my usual grocery spots in town.  I do think I'd try again with buckwheat someday.  We made Josiah his favorite gluten free pumpkin pancake recipe so he didn't feel left out.

The kisel seems like a good alternative to jello, something else that caught our attention since Micah can't have gelatin.  Ours didn't set up quite as well as I would have liked, but I'm pretty sure boiling the mixture longer would have taken care of that problem.  It had been a long day in the kitchen for me and Rachel gets impatient after standing so long. :)  And once again, there are some problem ingredients for Josiah so we always make sure he has a favorite alternative treat around when we cook things he can't eat.

Raspberry Kisel

1 lb. raspberries (fresh or frozen and thawed)
1/2 c. cornstarch
8 1/2 c. water
1 c. sugar
whipped cream or nondairy topping (we love Tru Whip and I just stocked up on a great price at our local health food store)

Wash and crush raspberries in large bowl and set aside.  In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1/2 c. water and stir until completely dissolved.  Set aside.  In large saucepan, combine sugar and remaining 8 c. water and stir well.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.  Add crushed fruit and cornstarch mixture to boiling syrup and stir for 4-8 min. or until mixture begins to thicken.  Remove pan from heat and let kisel cool to room temperature.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve chilled in glasses.  Top with whipped cream.

This makes a large quantity; the recipe could easily be cut in half.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

We made blinis as well. I think a master blini chef would make them better. We tried ours and then I added some of my own ingredients and turned the rest of the batter into regular pancakes.

leah said...

We just tried the kisel after lunch today. It was a hit, especially with Rachel.

I guess blinis are an art form, huh?