Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook


FOR TODAY, January 3, 2012

Outside my window...there is a dusting of snow on the ground, enough to make small children want to venture outside but not enough to make grown men shovel.  Has winter finally arrived?  Perhaps, but it is supposed to be 50 by the weekend.

I am thinking...it is both good to have a break from a routine and good to go back to one.

I am thankful...for the safe arrival of a precious little niece, for a blessed Christmas with family, for good health, and that God is my sure anchor even when things may not always be so good.  Seeing others suffer loss reminds me of what is truly important and lasting about this life.

In the kitchen...I can't seem to break away from gluten with the season of birthdays still upon us, and good things to eat still in the freezer.  Can I make February my new start date?  There is only a little sugar left in the cupboards now after Christmas and a birthday, and I count that as a very good thing.  The latest hit for Josiah is a paleo bread made from ground up pecans as a flour base.  It is amazing to me what he will eat these days!

I am wearing...something warm.  Clothes are mostly utilitarian here.

I am creating...ideas for the next school year in my head.  My mind changes often so it's good there is nothing yet set in stone and many months before firm decisions must be made.

I am reading...The Story of the World: Ancient Times and enjoying the glimpse of Biblical history interspersed with tidbits about the Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Indians, Chinese, and Phoenicians.  I may have to find the adult version of this book someday.  I just finished Around the World in 80 Days (fun!) and am now plodding through Les Miserables.  Since it was ordered to my our new Kindle, I had no idea it was over 1000 pages and now know I have bit off a bit more than I can chew.  No stopping now, and can I just say that a built in dictionary is THE reason to splurge for a Kindle?  (That reason comes just before the free books, of course!)

I am hoping...that Josiah can get through this year without falling too many more times.  (Stitches, a bloody lip, and a nasty bump on the head are his trophies from the past 2 months alone.)

I am looking forward to...planning a trip out west this summer, Lord willing.

I am learning...to meal plan without much bread.  Think potatoes and salad.

Around the house...there is not much going on beyond Christmas cleanup but that is a very, very good feeling.

From the learning rooms...we are looking forward to some new things for this semester.  Math for Josiah, more fraction practice for Rachel, and current events via a great deal I was given on God's World News.

I am pondering...why I can get so darn excited about earthly things while too often neglecting the unseen spiritual realities?  It may be a matter of how I am spending my time and energy.  At least possibly.

A favorite quote for today..."Let us never fear robbers nor murderers.  Those are dangers from without, petty dangers.  Let us fear ourselves, prejudices are the real robbers; vices are the real murderers.  The great dangers lie within ourselves.  What matters it what threatens our head or our purse!  Let us think only of that which threatens our soul."  (Les Mis)

One of my favorite things...is being curled up in front of the fire with a good book.  Now to acquire some wood to enjoy such a thing...

A few plans for the rest of the week: my daughter has arranged a roller skating outing with a new friend.  This should be as interesting as ice skating was a few weeks ago! 

A peek into my day...or at least one that we had here recently...

3 comments:

Fresh Juniper said...

Excellent post. Love the quote. Hope to see Les Mis one day.

leah said...

I would love to see it, too! We have an audio version on CD for the kids but we're waiting until I'm done reading to listen. :)

Thanks for stopping by, Reecea!

Imelda said...

nice post. :-)

~Imelda