Saturday, January 15, 2011

they ate this, too: carrot-based un-tomato sauce!!!

My kids polished their plates when I experimented with a spaghetti sauce made with beets and pumpkin instead of tomatoes.  When I saw this recipe made with carrots instead, I couldn't wait to try it.  We all agreed it was even better!  I'd like to play around with the spices, but I can't add garlic as it calls for so that may be why.

Most people don't avoid tomatoes...but if you want to sneak some carrots into your next batch of tomato sauce, my guess is no one will notice!!  Micah has gagged on carrots since he was a baby, and he thought this was pretty good.

NO BEETS UN-TOMATO SAUCE

2 15-oz. cans carrots, drained
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup pomegranate juice (I think next time I will try all chicken broth or use another kind of juice...pomegranate juice is expensive!)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (I didn't have any on hand, so left this out.)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. basil  (I added about 2 T.)
1/2 tsp sugar

Put all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth. Heat, add ground beef if desired, and serve. (Or proceed to use in another recipe, such as for BBQ sauce).

2 comments:

Gerri B. said...

I found your website recently. I recently ordered the Feingold diet and will be starting soon. My 10 year old son is ADHD, has Asperger's Syndrome, and Tourette's Syndrome. I look forward to trying some of your recipes like the carrot based untomato sauce.

leahjoy1 said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! In your materials you will get a recipe made with beets, which many people like, but we prefer this one.