Wednesday, January 5, 2011

they ate it!!!

Tonight I tried a new recipe I had seen posted on the Feingold bulletin board a few months ago.  It was for a tomato-free marinara sauce, and several other people made it and said it was really good.  I had to trust them, because I wasn't too sure when I looked at the ingredients....

Tomato-Free Marinara Sauce
Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 onion finely chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 lb ground beef

1/2 cup olive oil

3 oz of lemon juice (about 6 tbsp)

2 tbsp rice vinegar

16 oz can of beets, drained (reserve liquid)

30 oz of canned (or fresh) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)

1 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth

2 tsp course salt

24 grinds of black pepper

1 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 cup dried basil) (can use italian spice mix)

3 tsp cornstarch or Arrowroot, moistened with 4 tbsp beet juice

Directions:


  1. Saute on onions, garlic, meat and olive oil until onion is soft and meat is cooked

  2. Add lemon juice and vinegar, Simmer for 5 minutes

  3. Puree beets until very smooth and no lumps

  4. Add pureed beets, pumpkin puree, salt, pepper and basil to pan.  Stir until combined

  5. Whisk in the broth.  Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, do not over cook as beets will discolor.  If sauce is too thick, add a little more broth to thin out

  6. Whisk in the moistened cornstarch.  Cook for 1 more minute and add spice to taste.


TIP: if  is it too acidic, add some sugar to it.

*I didn't bother with the cornstarch, and had to leave out the garlic and onion due to allergies.

I made the sauce while our older kids were at piano lessons so they couldn't see what I put in it, and then served it without any explanations.  A quick taste told me it might go over OK.  I watched as Micah took bite after bite, and then he finally told me, "I really like this, Mom!"  Rachel, too, seemed to devour her plateful.  When I told them what was in it, they didn't flinch.  Amazing!!
 

 

No comments: