Friday, January 28, 2011

The newest 10-year-old

 Today was Rachel's 10th birthday.  How is it even possible that our girl has hit double digits?



She dearly wanted a hamster, but we were very concerned about the allergy load already on us with two cats and a dog.  Fish were a worthy compromise.  She found the tank mesmerizing...and there aren't even any fish in it yet!



The day she was born, I dreamed of having her hair long enough to put up in pigtails and ponytails.  I have photos of every time I actually got to do this with her, which tells you how rare it was.  But lately, Rachel's been asking for braids, curls, and today...a pony tail.  And after 10 years I finally found a brush (this week!) that doesn't pull her hair.



We had two family parties to celebrate, and both were postponed due to illness.  But presents were delivered by Nana and Papa today anyway.  We'll get to that cake yet!


I really didn't understand why my mom cried when I turned 10...but I do now.


Happy birthday, Rachel.  You are so dear to us!!!


 

4 comments:

Beth said...

Happy, happy birthday to your 10 year old. I didn't cry too much with the first one, but I know it'll hit me for sure the minute the curly-headed girl turns 10. I have a feeling it's only gonna get faster.

leahjoy1 said...

I was less emotional with my first one, too. I don't even want to think about my baby turning 10...glad he has 6 more years to go!

This IS going too fast. I blinked, she's 10, when I blink again, she'll be 20. But that means every day is precious.

I'll tell her you said happy birthday! By the way, I finally noticed your girls have blogs. What fun! I'll have to let Rachel look at them.

Amy said...

NO!!!! She can't be ten, because that means Joshua will soon be ten. I remember holding her when I was pregnant with Joshua. How is that possible!?! She is an awesome girl that will do amazing things in the years to come.

leahjoy1 said...

She sure loves the arm-warmers you picked out for her!