Thursday, March 3, 2011

GF snacks that won't break the budget

I was able to shave quite a bit off our last grocery bill...hooray!!  Now we'll see if that continues.  It always helps when I have a week I don't have to buy meat.

Specialty snacks for a gluten free diet are not cheap, but there are a quite a few naturally gluten free foods or homemade snacks that help keep us within budget.  Here are a few ideas:

Fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those that are in season.  I just discovered my youngest will eat carrots if I cut them in circles--we call them carrot coins.  He even tried peanut butter and celery when I chopped the celery into smallish pieces.  My daughter loves to make a baked potato for herself in the microwave.  And of course, pears, bananas, and other fruit are always a hit.

Homemade treats like granola bars, cereal bars, cookies, etc.  Gluten free flours and oats are more expensive, but making my own snacks with these is still less than buying something premade.

Popcorn and Nuts--really, what's cheaper than popcorn?  Nuts are more expensive...grr!!

Canned fruit, applesauce, we even buy baby pear sauce for FG stage 1.

Potato chips:  We can do Lays, Kettle Chips, Fritos, Tostitos, and there are many others as well.

If you do have to buy something pre-made, Envirokidz and Enjoy Life have a nice line of products that are a little more reasonable than most.

Finally, these aren't exactly inexpensive, but the snacks on this website are a special treat: www.allergygrocer.com.   You do have to mix these up and make them yourself.  I spent our savings last week at this website, so we'll see if it was a worthwhile splurge.  We are so hungry for things like pretzels, donuts, bagels, graham crackers, and biscuits!  Hopefully in time I will even learn how to make these on my own.

No comments: