Monday, January 4, 2010

compassion challenge: what's so special about a birthday?

From the time I was young, there have been 6 dates that have embedded themselves in my memory: February 20, March 1, March 6, April 19, December 8, and December 11. What was so special about those days? Someone in my family celebrated a birthday or anniverary!! As I grew, I collected dates in my head: June 21 (my best friend since kindergarten...we don't even talk anymore, but I still remember her on her birthday!), Dec. 19 (another friend I no longer see); when I met my husband-to-be, May 10 was another date to remember and never forget. Soon we were married: July 9, then my brother and his wife: August 2. A new baby added to our family: Dec. 31!! Add in nieces, nephews, more children, more anniversaries, more dear friends... that's a lot of dates to keep track of!

And so I did, mentally, for many years. A few were jotted on the calendar haphazardly to help my memory. But lately, I've noticed I'm starting to miss things: my parents anniversary a few years ago (sorry, Mom and Dad), a brother's birthday, more special dates here and there. If I can factor in all the dates I do remember, my track record is pretty good. If you're the person I forgot, it doesn't matter if my accuracy is 90%, you were the one left forgotten.

I've been forgotten at times, too, and understand the grace that is extended to those of us with short-term memory loss. Yet I long to recognize and celebrate these special dates of loved ones. Why make such a concerted effort? It was perhaps best expressed as I read this thought recently in a book by H. Clay Trumbull:

"When the anniversary of a child's birthday comes around, a loving parent is likely to emphasize and illustrate to the child the parental love which should make that season a season of gladness and joy to the child...It is not that the parents are lacking in love at other times; but it is that the child shall have fresh reminders, at these anniversary seasons, of that love which is unfailing throughout the year."

Life is short, busy, and I am often caught up in a whirlwind of activity that is involved in raising children, serving in ministry, and running a household. God has placed many special, beloved people in my life that I love, and yet I often forget or neglect to express it to them. Birthdays and anniversaries are a wonderful opportunity to give those people "fresh reminders of that love which is unfailing throughout the year."

I'm hoping this year I don't miss one!

No comments: