Thursday, January 14, 2010

a delicious way to start the day

My grandma gave me this granola recipe at Thanksgiving. I like to make it on the weekend, and it makes enough to last at least the entire week for two people. VERY good!

Celebration Granola
6 c. old-fashioned oats
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. toasted wheat germ or flaxseed
1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar (I backed this down to 1 c. to reduce sugar...still good!)
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 c. dried cherries or cranberries
1 c. raisins

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, and wheat germ; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, oil and syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 min. or until heated through. Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.

Transfer to two greased cookie sheets. Bake at 300 for 20-25 min. or until golden brown, stirring once. Cool.

Sprinkle with cherries and raisins; toss to combine. Store in airtight container.

Yield 12 cups.

2 comments:

Eric Rhodes said...

Very yummy! I like it a lot!

Anonymous said...

I have a similar recipe for granola from my aunt. I was on a kick, making it regularly, then got out of the habit. This recipe makes me want to get the ingredients TODAY! Thanks for sharing.