Thursday, January 28, 2010

gymnastics!

At my 3-year-old's well check appointment, Josiah's pediatrician observed him spinning around and bouncing in his chair. "You may want to try enrolling him in gymnastics," was her advice to me as a winter outlet for some of his energy.

After a friend mentioned her granddaughter enjoyed this class, I did some research and then signed Josiah up. He LOVES it and spends all week counting down to gymnastics day. I love that I get to watch him spend 50 minutes following someone else's directions! But this class is so much more than gymnastics as they integrate preschool activities, and that makes it fun to watch, too. I can't wait to try some of their ideas at home with him!
This week's opening activity was a matching game. The kids picked up a magnetic letter, and then ran across the room to find a bucket with a letter that matched, and dropped it in.
The kids doing a crab walk. Josiah constantly looks to make sure I'm watching.
"Airplane arms" on the balance beam. Yesterday Josiah told me he wants to be an airplane when he grows up.

An elevated balance beam with a new twist: step over the ducks, which were little, medium, and big. Last week they used snakes until Josiah got scared. The snakes got put away.

Getting ready to do a front roll. "Arms up."

And roll!

Jumping on the trampoline is Josiah's favorite activity!

No comments: