Wednesday, January 27, 2010

sugar and spice and a few things unexpected...

"It's a girl!" I remember the joy of hearing those words exactly nine years ago today. I had a precious 2-year-old son at home, so knew well some of the joys of having a little boy. I had hoped that one day I would also get to experience the world of little girls, and now I held one in my arms.

That first day of getting to know Rachel, I looked at her fuzzy brown hair and imagined the day it would hold pigtails and hair bows. Dresses of pink, ribbon, and lace danced across my imagination, and her closet soon filled with baby girl gifts: dainty outfits fit for a princess. Baby dolls and bottles waited on the shelves for her to play with. I couldn't wait to engage her in all things girl.

That little Rachel grew up, and fussed whenever I tried to do her hair. Pony tails hurt, ribbons were too cute for her liking. People complimented her when she wore a dress, which was too much for a child who disliked being the center of attention. Besides, her legs got cold, and dresses were just uncomfortable. Dolls were not interesting and the color pink too...um, pastel.

Wanting my daughter's heart more than her hair, I gave up trying to put it up except on special occasions. But she loves to wear it long, and it is beautiful tucked behind her ears. We found simple dresses combined with leggings were more to her liking, and she is learning how to say "thank you" with a smile when someone compliments her appearance. Gold and silver have emerged as her favorite colors. Baby dolls were out but Kit Kittredge became a good friend. Two girls moved in next door, and suddenly she began to see her more feminine interests were not weird, they just weren't shared by her brothers. After spending extended playtime with these girls (the youngest of whom is rarely caught in pants), she sometimes emerges from her room wearing (gulp!) a dress and plastic jewelry.

Rachel loves history, writing in her journal, and she studies hard. She's a dog-lover, wants to learn how to sew, play guitar, and wire electricity, and relishes time in the kitchen, cooking. She begged me for a year to get her ears pierced, and carries a purse to church stuffed with the latest and most beloved animal friend. Her sense of humor borders on the absolutely silly, her giggles are contagious, and her friendships plentiful but precariously strung on the thread of a sensitive heart. When we filled out a checklist to compare our mother/daughter interests, we were almost complete opposites. I love how this child continues to enlarge my understanding of what it means to be a girl.

Happy 9th birthday, Rachel! I'm so thankful to have you as my daughter!!! It is a joy to discover how has God wired you and see His life and plan unfolding in you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a fun post to read, so full of God's working in you and in Rachel. Give her a Happy Birthday for me. :)

leah said...

Erin-
I wanted pastels and got sparkles. How could I complain? But you're right, God is at work in both of us. He knew the daughter for me and the mother for her! I'll give her your birthday wishes.