Tuesday, January 12, 2010

gentle Shepherd

It was another one of "those" days. Thunderclouds of discouragement and doom formed over my head, and I let them gather there unheeded. John 10 was the chapter of study as I prepared to lead a discussion over its contents the following day. I knew God's truth lay before me, but only gazed at it as if from afar. A Good Shepherd? Green pastures? Who am I kidding? This unruly, disgruntled sheep looked around the meadow and saw mostly dirt, rough ground, and rain threatening to fall. I felt like an uncared for, lonely sheep, without any sign of a shepherd in sight.

Yet, bleating out prayers, I called for Him. And He did come, as He always does, because I am His sheep and He loves me. Certainly not because I deserve to know His presence. And He changed my perspective.

The rocks, the rough ground I see is a verdant meadow in His eyes. He is my Shepherd, He promised green pastures, and therefore I can trust that is exactly where He has placed me. It is here, in this pasture, that I will learn to trust, to hear His voice, and to find in Him all I need. He taught me this prayer:

Good Shepherd, will you please grant me:
Your strength in my weakness,
Your wisdom in my perplexity,
Your patience as I wait on You,
Your light in my darkness,
Your life in my death,
Your presence in my loneliness,
Your love in my brokenness,
Your glory in my cross?

And this sheep, satisfied in her Master's care, lay down by still waters and found rest.

1 comment:

Eric Rhodes said...

This was one of my favorites! Thanks for the great remainder about our Good Shepherd.