Friday, October 23, 2009

stumbling across a treasure


While working through the curriculum Before Five in A Row with my 2-year-old, we came across this gem of a book after digging it up on an inter-library loan. If Jesus Came to My House, by Joan Gale Thomas, was first published in England and then in the U.S. in 1951. The story begins, "If Jesus Came to My House and knocked upon the door, I'm sure I'd be more happy than I've ever been before..." Thus begins a little boy's imaginitive description of a visit with little boy Jesus. The boy shares his best toys, offers Him the best seat, and gives Him the prettiest flowers from his garden. After his imaginings he wistfully concludes Jesus cannot truly come and play in this way, but the boy can still act on Jesus' very real presence in his life by doing these kind acts for others. Part of his conclusion is "I still can share with Jesus the nicest of my toys by lending them or giving them to poorer girls and boys. And though He may not visit me as I have wished He would, yet even so He'll bless my house if I am kind and good."

This story is so sweet and poignant, I cried the first time I read it through. I quickly looked the book up online to see if I could purchase my own copy of the book and found that indeed, collectible copies are available from $65-$200 on Amazon!!! There are a few cheaper options floating around, and a book with new pictures was published more recently and is available on CBD. With such a great story, you can't go wrong either way. However, I have to admit to being a bit of a purist myself with this older book, since my little guy has already taken a great liking to the pictures.

No comments: