Thursday, October 22, 2009

Betty Stam

At the missions conference at our church this week, I learned the story behind the woman whose quote is included in my blog. Betty Scott Stam did indeed surrender everything to her Savior at any cost. This young woman and her husband lost their lives while ministering in China in the early 1900's when their infant daughter (who miraculously escaped) was just 3 months old. Read about the Stam's martyrdom here. I ran across Betty's quote in one of Elisabeth Elliot's books. How many Christian missionaries went forth as a result of this couple's sacrifice for the gospel? We wonder how they could give up so much for Christ. Perhaps the real question is how we could bear to miss out on all He offers to a life fully surrendered to Him.

Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to Thee to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, send me where Thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever.-Betty Scott Stam

No comments: