Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the challenge of a lifetime

Mark 8:34-35
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

"Taking up our cross daily means to form the habit of going through our day with a certain orientation and attitude, namely, with a passion to give up our right to make ourselves the center of concern that day. Rather we live for God's kingdom, finding our place in His unfolding plan and playing our role well as we give our life away to others for Christ's sake."
-J.P. Moreland and Klaus Issler, from The Lost Virtue of Happiness

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a mental reorientation! To live with a PASSION to give up rights to self-centered thought and living. Good one to pray about. Thanks for sharing.

leah said...

Yes, I was struck by the same wording, "PASSION to give up your right to be the center of concern" although not until reading it through several times. I copied this and put it on my desk to look at. Yet I stand in awe of God's wisdom for when I do reorient my thinking this way, things become easier, not harder, and joy is found where you'd least expect it.