Saturday, June 27, 2009

summer reading list: helping my children to enjoy great literature

As mentioned earlier, both of my children were given a bingo challenge at the beginning of the summer to read some books beyond what they might normally pick out at the library. In exchange, they would earn prizes as they reached goals for books read. They have been reading a lot this summer, both things on their bingo sheets as well as their own picks. Here are a few gems they have been encouraged to enjoy:

Rachel:

-Nim's Island (the movie was great, I'm guessing that as usual, the book is better. The story was first developed by the author at age 11.)

-Louis Braille (also on Micah's list. He was fascinated to find out Braille was blind and amazed at the frustrations he faced in getting his alphabet to be accepted and used, finally succeeding only a few years before his early death.)

-Any American Girl book: Rachel chose Kit and immediately started dressing up like her and playing with her Kit doll again

-Anything by Bill Peet; I love his story-telling in rhyme.

-Books about money chosen by Mom: My Rows and Piles of Coins, The Riches of Oseola McCarty

-The Story About Ping, a rather delightful story about a duck who learned that accepting discipline in a loving environment is better than experiencing the freedom of doing things his own way.

Micah:

-The Water Horse by Dick King-Smith (think Babe. Yes, the movie.)

-Peter Pan

-My Side of the Mountain: he loved this one and there are two sequels

-The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth Speare, a Christian writer. I can't wait to have him read The Bronze Bow, a story set in Jerusalem around the time of Jesus' life. The themes are more mature so I'll wait at least another year before challenging Micah to read it.

A few other things I look forward to reading/discussing with the kids:

Tuck Everlasting, a book that helped me to see eternal life as granted by God is the only happy way to live forever.

The Bridge to Terabithia: Katherine Paterson grew up in China as a daughter to missionary parents. While a Christian, her books do deal with difficult and sometimes controversial themes, but they make for great springboards to higher thinking and living. She also authored Jacob Have I Loved.

Are there any other childhood favorites I should be adding to their list? Please share!

No comments: