Saturday, March 2, 2013

Larabars: it ended in yum!

When you're gluten free, it's only a matter of time before you are introduced.  Our first meeting was not quite what I expected.  There was no rush of happy feelings, no taste buds all a-flutter, no desire to pursue this friendship.

Sometimes things sweeten with patience.

It was all in the chemistry, really.  I should have started with chocolate chip cookie dough, instead of pecan pie.

Now that I've made homemade Larabars thanks to this delectable recipe from Cha Cha, I was ready to venture out and try something new, something along the lines of this recipe, to which I give all credit for any creative sparks that followed.  My cupboard was temporarily bare of pecans, the almonds we tried did not seem to work well for my DS, and my husband had tossed what was left of our raw cashews, so I looked at our walnuts and smiled, hopefully. 

Cocoa-coconut Lara Bites

15 dates, pitted (in the refrigerated section of our health food store)
1 c. walnuts (sub in any combination of nuts you have on hand)
3/4 c. shredded coconut
2 T. coconut oil
2 T. water
1/3 c. chocolate chips (I think, since I didn't exactly measure, just poured in mini chips until it looked right)

Mix walnuts and coconut in food processor until fine.  Then add dates, oil, and water and pulse until a dough forms.  Add chocolate chips and stir by hand.  Press mixture into melon baller and then onto waxed paper.  Refrigerate any that are left after sampling.