Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Simple Woman's Daybook

 FOR TODAY: March 5, 2013

Outside my window...it is snowing and blowing.  We have had more snow in the past two weeks than the rest of winter combined.  My youngest is loving every minute he can get outside to play in it.  We're not sure how the robins and geese feel.

I am thinking...about ways to address my children's hearts.  As a homeschool mom I've found it is easy to focus on academics and behavior, when godly character is the pressing need of a child's development.

I am thankful...for a dear friend who moved back into town after six years of living out of state.  What a joy to reconnect with this sister in Christ, and in front of the gluten free section of the grocery store to boot!

In the kitchen...the piano that sat in it for two days has been moved.  We can no longer tap out a tune while grabbing the mustard.

I am wearing...as much purple as possible.  For me, it's the new pink.

I am creating...a picture schedule for Josiah for his afternoons.  He loves to look at the next thing on his list and do it himself.  As I'm trying to work with the older two then, I love it as well.

I am going...on a field trip with Eric's sister's family next week.  When my 19-year-old niece asked if we wanted to be included in her spring break plans, we jumped at saying yes!  We are learning the gift of watching two of these children becoming young adults.

I am wondering...what God wants me to be when my children grow up.

I am reading...Smart but Scattered.  I'd never heard of executive functioning until the past couple of months, but have become better educated.  This book has so many great ideas for helping kids organize themselves and their responses.  Maybe it will help me organize myself, too!

I am hoping...we can understand and help Rachel with her digestive issues.  Prayer needed here.

I am looking forward to...starting a Bible study on Ecclesiastes.  We'll start next week, if it will stop snowing on Tuesdays.

I am learning...to stop focusing on what my children can't do and instead stand breathless at what God has done and is continuing to do in their lives.

Around the house...new carpet!  Josiah named it Fuzzy.  Thus the reason the piano was in the kitchen.

I am pondering...summer.  Our plans have never been so up in the air.  Wondering what God has in mind!

A favorite quote for today...

Never be sad or desponding,
If thou has faith to believe;
Grace, for the duties before thee,
Ask of thy God and receive.

Never give up, never give up,
Never give up to thy sorrows,
Jesus will bid them depart;
Trust in the Lord, Trust in the Lord,
Sing when your trials are greatest,
Trust in the Lord and take heart.

-Fanny Crosby

One of my favorite things...is teaching science to my kindergartner.  He thinks cells are oh so cool.  He is oh so right!  We are studying the human body.  I am marveling at what a young man told me recently who was homeschooled until high school: the body is the pinnacle of everything God made.  It is an awesome endeavor to study it, as it reveals God's creativity as nothing else in His creation.  What a thought!  And we can't even begin to talk about the study of the soul since that won't go under a microscope...

A few plans for the rest of the week: science classes at the Discovery Museum.  Rachel is giddy about the weather class as her current plan (aside from dog breeding and teaching) is to become a storm chaser.  Josiah is going to learn about magnets.

A peek into my day...


3 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

Snow. Wow. We get cold but no snow. :-(

Hope you enjoy your field trip next week. That was one of my favorite things about homeschooling. Praying for you to continue to touch your children's heart; yes, the academics are great, but it's the hearts the Lord is after.

Blessings to you, Leah. Thanks for sharing your daybook.

leah said...

Lisa, thanks so much for reading and your encouraging words!

jennifer anderson said...

scattered...thats me!