Sunday, February 24, 2013

gluten free tortillas!

Pork carnitas in the crockpot is one of my all-time favorite meals.  Chipotle is a great place to enjoy them, but over a year ago I saw a homemade recipe on the Feingold member's recipe board, and have loved making it ever since.  It is so easy and makes the whole house smell so good. 

When I went gluten free last summer, one of the things I missed the most was flour tortillas.  We have been substituting corn chips in their place for Mexican food, but to be honest, we've had so many corn chips lately it was getting old.  So this weekend I pulled out the cookbook Gluten Free on a Shoestring to try a homemade recipe for rice flour tortillas.  The tortilla press I got for Christmas made these so easy to make, I wish I had tried them sooner.  My press is small, so one adjustment I will make next time is to make 8 tortillas instead of 6, which is a better number for our family anyway.  It is so much fun to let Josiah have a tortilla he can eat, too!
 
Flour Tortillas
 
2 c. GF flour (you can buy this premixed or save money by making your own.  I use 6 c. rice flour, 2 c. potato starch, 1 c. tapioca flour that I order from Amazon)
1 t. xanthan gum
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
4 T. oil (I used olive)
1 c. warm water (about 100 degrees)
 
In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine well.  Add the oil and stir to combine.  Add the water slowly to combine and mix as you pour.
 
Press together the dough with wet hands.  Divide into 8 pieces and flatten individually in tortilla press until about 1/8 inch thick.
 
Heat large skillet.  Once it is hot, place each raw tortilla in skillet one at a time.  Allow to cook for 45-60 seconds, then turn for another 30-45 seconds.  It is better to undercook than overcook.  Remove from pan and place on a plate.  Use while still warm.
 
Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas
 
2 lb. boneless pork ribs, pork shoulder, or pork loin
2 t. salt (or less)
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. black pepper
2 t. cumin
1/2 large onion, cut in 4 pieces
 
Mix spices and rub over pork.  Place pork in slow cooker and scatter onion on top.  Cook pork 6 hours on low or 4 on high.  About 30 min. before done, shred pork with fork.  Let cook in juices for 30 min. before serving.  The meat is very tender.
 
 


No comments: