Monday, March 19, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY: March 19, 2012

Outside my window...green!!  Daffodils are blooming, the trees are budding out and flowering.  This usually happens around my birthday, a month from now.  It's beautiful, even if I worry a bit about a return to colder temperatures and that that will mean for things so anxious to start growing now.

I am thinking...about a friend whose husband is dying of pancreatic cancer, and the joyful witness they have been through it all.

I am thankful...for my husband's good health and good news from his recent health scare.  It could have all come out so differently, but we certainly understand how blessed we are in a way we didn't know before.

In the kitchen...we had to replace our 3 year old dishwasher.  The kids loved our week of washing dishes, and one was even rather sad to see it come to an end.

I am wearing...shorts, on March 19th?

I am creating...a wish list for homeschooling next year, and hoping for some finds at the used curriculum sale.
I am going...to make gluten free sugar cookies tonight!

I am wondering...how to cook gluten free yet not be so tired of meat.

I am reading...a lot of Dave Ramsey lately.  And wishing we were 15 years younger.

I am hoping...to break some bad sinful habits, knowing the resources of heaven are available in Christ for the sanctified life.

I am looking forward to...seeing the new Sonlight catalog!!

I am learning...to stop and talk to the Lord before rushing into things.  It is good to ask for Him to make things clear or to give direction, and He does, even if it's not always in my time.

Around the house...there comes a time when a new kitchen floor is less a luxury and more a necessity.  We're getting close to that, but by whose standards, really?

I am pondering...how it could be possible that my youngest child has a wiggly tooth.  Just slightly, mind you, but there it is.

A favorite quote for today...learned at BSF last week.  Too often it is not true of me though I greatly want it to be:

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.


I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."

-George Bernard Shaw

One of my favorite things...is doing read alouds on our front porch.

A few plans for the rest of the week: our last Bible study for church on Thursday, and then supper with my family this weekend when my youngest brother's family comes to visit!

A peek into my day...
 Finding the favorite parts of the book about evolution versus creation that we studied earlier this year,
and growing bacteria on the kitchen counter; hoping there is no hidden meaning in this.

No comments: