Tuesday, March 27, 2012

grappling with truth

Not too long ago, I was able to share what the kids and I were learning from the book But Don't All Religions Lead to God?*  In the midst of that, life interrupted and I'm just now finding my way back to that subject.  I do choose to return, however, because leaving that discussion hanging as it was is a bit like coming to a dead end road when I had intended to showcase the highway to life.

The journey of learning the uniqueness of Jesus is not a theory for me.  I grew up in a Christian home and came to know Jesus as my Savior (at least through the "ask Him into your heart sense") from the time I was quite young.  My growing up years were spent at church, praying before meals and bed, going to church camp, participating in youth group, and reading my Bible.  The grounding I had helped me make wise choices in my lifestyle and I believe I had a personal relationship with God from an early age.  I also felt rather smug in my self-righteousness as the girl who was always good.  Of course, I didn't know that then, but looking back it's pretty easy to spot!

Having two young children just 2 years apart tore the mask off my self-righteousness.  I wanted to be a perfect mom but found I wasn't always patient and kind with my kids.  My inner resources to meet their needs was at times just not enough.  My short-comings plagued me because I knew my sin hurt the little ones I loved the most.  About that time I was studying the life of Moses and saw very clearly the holiness of God and His anger against sin as time after time, He punished the disobedient Israelites in their desert wanderings.  I began to question the goodness of God and wondered how anyone could really live up to His standards of perfection.

During that time, my mind did wander to Eastern religions.  I had never studied Buddhism, Hinduism, or Confucianism.  Should I?  I wondered what truly made Christianity unique, and why I could bank on the things I had grown up knowing about God.

Thankfully, I never did get far in pursuing other faiths.  It was in Bible study that I both met the holiness of God and then the grace of the gospel.  I began to really understand why God sent His Son to be Savior--because we could not keep the standards He required.  In His perfect life, Jesus did.  In His death, He took the punishment I deserved.  In His resurrection, He promised eternal life to all those who believe, because by the power of His indestructible life, He gave life to others. 

John 6:60-69 is the story of my journey:

On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.

Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

Grappling with the truth about God is not an easy thing to do.  Some turn away, disheartened and disillusioned.  Some, like Peter, recognize (by God's enabling) that although God's standards are unattainable, in mercy He sent Jesus to be the living bread of heaven, and that those who eat of Him (taking the truth about who He is into our person by faith) will live.  Christ alone has the words of eternal life.  There is no one else to whom we can go.  His ministry and message are utterly unique.

More on that to come.

*While reading this book was a delight, I do not agree with the author on every line of thinking.  Use caution and Biblical thinking especially when reading it with children.

No comments: