Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY, October 18, 2011

Outside my window...the sky and trees are competing for the mood.  The gray skies say cold and sad but the changing colors add warmth and beauty.  Today, I think the leaves win.

I am thinking...about how God is using the events of my life and the lives of those around me for the progress of the gospel in the midst of the larger story He is writing.  So often I reduce my circumstances to a puzzle that needs to be solved instead of a walk of obedience in response to God's word.  It is good to be reminded often of His sovereignty, trustworthiness, and bigger plan.

I am thankful...for difficulties that shave off the rough spots and make more more like Christ.  Looks like I can expect more, because there's a lot of work to be done here!

From the learning rooms...we've been taking a few mini-field trips while the warm weather lasts.  Our zoo pass expires at the end of the month, so I'm looking for a warmish day to go.  We are thoroughly enjoying Sonlight's Core F.  I'm not sure how it compares to their other cores, but I think we are hooked!  Feathered dinosaurs have been our science pursuit this week.  Micah loved it so much, he finished a week's worth of lessons in one day.

In the kitchen...'tis the season for pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, and pumkin pancakes.  My husband couldn't be happier!

I am wearing...a mulberry sweater and jeans.  Cozy and comfortable, which is my idea of fashion.  (Mulberry helps!)

I am wondering...if Micah will get out of braces before his sister needs them as well?  It's looking a bit doubtful.

I am reading...When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park.  Homeschooling the kids has reignited my own wonder for learning. This book gives a fascinating and sobering background to a darker time in Korean history, a "forgotten decade" when Japan had control of the country and ruled with oppression until the end of World War II.  Studying the Eastern Hemisphere is filling in the gaps in my own education.  I remember we talked a lot about Hitler and his rise to power, by why not Japan?  

I am looking forward to...our church's mission conference.  It is exciting to see God's hand at work around the world, and this is only one glimpse!!

I am hearing...Micah practicing trumpet, making it sound as ugly as possible.  It makes the dog bark, which seems to be the point.

Around the house...Eric brought home flowers on Friday night and it was Saturday morning before I noticed them.  I'll leave it to your imagination what that means.

I am pondering...the ugliness of my own pride and the incredible humility of the Savior.  It seems that gazing on Him is my only antidote.

One of my favorite things...is walking through crisp, fallen leaves with a small hand in mine.

A few plans for the rest of the week: The kids are trying out a homeschooling swim and gym class.  We were so excited to find a vending machine where all three kids can find treats.  They have Late July cheese crackers!!  Really, sometimes it is the little things around here, especially when it comes to food.

Here is picture I am sharing of a friend we loved so much, we set him free...

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I too have been reminded lately of God's sovereignty in the storms. I don't always understand why things are as they are, but He does, and that's enough for me.

I hope you get pleasant enough weather for your zoo trip. Have a blessed rest of your week.