Sunday, October 30, 2011

ready for Halloween

After 15 months on the Feingold diet and seeing how food additives affect all three of my children, I am having trouble with the idea of handing out candy filled with chemicals to our trick or treaters this year, even if that is what they get at every other house.  However, finding a suitable alternative is not easy.  Most candy is loaded with artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.  Grab your favorite candy bar and read the label. 

At my weekly grocery trip last week, I found what I was looking for: small treat bags of Teddy Grahams.  Coupled with Life Saver Pep-O-Mints, I have some reasonably priced treats without artificials to hand out!  However, even Josiah can't eat either of these.  They have a corn sweetner which causes him to react behaviorally.

What will he be having for Halloween?  We ordered him some white rock candy, naturally flavored and colored gummies made without corn syrup, and a Jack-O-Lantern shaped piece of maple candy.  Rachel will probably get a Gharadelli all natural chocolate bar, and Micah is getting some special gelatin-free "marshmallows."  This is so complicated, my boys can't even share their treats without having issues!

They are looking forward to turning their trick or treating candy in for some small toys.  Halloween is fun even without the candy!!  I'm thinking next year we may skip the special candy and just make cookies.

No comments: