Sunday, May 8, 2011

thanks, Mom!

-For subscribing to the Book of the Month club and reading to me when I was a preschooler.  It gave me a love for reading and helped me learn how.

-For the garden in our backyard on the farm.  I thought of it today when I planted mine.

-For teaching me how to say "please" and "thank you."

-For sending cards to relatives on their birthdays, so I would know the importance of being remembered.

-For the sacrifices you made to allow me to take piano lessons, gymnastics, and go to church camp even when times were lean.

-For listening to me talk on and on about some boy I met at college named Eric.

-For reminding Dad to call his mom.  I have an outstanding relationship with my in-laws and it's partly due to that memory of the importance of staying in touch.

-For teaching me love of family, commitment to marriage, and the precious place of children in the life of a family.

-For reading your Bible every day, because I learned this spiritual discipline early from watching you.

-For taking a stand on the truth of the word of God, even when it was unpopular in the church we attended.  From that I learned that the Bible, not popular opinion, is the final word on any issue.

-For teaching me that it is important to have solid values and to examine the truths of faith to make them my own.

-For being a listening ear through a miscarriage and then my early days of motherhood when I had my long-awaited firstborn.

-For your support and empathy in raising a strong-willed child.

-For loving your grandkids and making your home a special place for them.

For this and so much more, I'm glad you're my mom.

(Thanks, Erin, for inspiring this post.)

No comments: