Thursday, December 10, 2009

a hymn of longing for the Spirit

"'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within in him.' By this he meant the Spirit..." John 7:38-39

Thy mighty Love, O God constraineth me,
As some strong tide it presseth on its way,
Seeking a channel in my self-bound soul,
Yearning to sweep all barriers away.

Shall I not yield to that constraining power?
Shall I not say, O tide of Love flow in?
My God, Thy gentleness hath conquered me,
Life cannot be as it hath hither been.

Break thru my nature, mighty, heavenly Love,
Clear every avenue of thought and brain,
Flood my affections, purify my will,
Let nothing but Thine own pure life remain.

Thus wholly mastered and possessed by God,
Forth from my life, spontaneous and free,
Shall flow a stream of tenderness and grace
Loving because God loved, eternally.

No comments: