Sunday, July 17, 2011

glimpses of the future

This week, I saw my 12-year-old carrying a 15 month-old, and delighting in caring for 2 more children under the age of two.  Then he asked if he could work in the nursery.  It put a lump in my throat.

My 10-year-old is asking when she can babysit, because in 2 days, 2 different people commented on how well she interacts with younger kids.  Of course, she's so tall that she looks older than she really is, but I can definitely see babysitting and teaching in her future.

And, I took this picture of this terrific twosome.



I was reminded recently that a mom's job is not to be a cruise director* but to train up children with skills they will need to function as adults.  I've spent too much of my time arranging fun activities or encouraging academic achievement and sometimes have forgotten there's so much more to parenting than that!  As my kids approach their teen years, I see so much they need to learn.  The good news is, we still have time... and we can certainly have fun in the process.

*Life Skills for Kids, by Christine Field

No comments: