Friday, July 1, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

For today, July 1, 2011...

Outside My Window...the wind is blowing strong, but will not be much help in today's heat wave.  Welcome to July!!  

I am thinking...about a comment a friend made earlier this week.  She said the depth of our first conversation with a new friend sets the tone for the depth of future conversations.  How true this is!  If I'm content to only talk about the weather, we never seem to get very deep.  

I am thankful for...a summer of refreshment, the first in a very long time.  My youngest is no longer waking up with the roosters, and I have extended time to spend in God's word.  A lighter-than-usual summer schedule has lent itself to less running and more time to read, be spontaneous with the kids, see them find creative ways to fill down time, cook, weed the garden, and more.  

From the learning rooms...Rachel is studying 7 multiplication facts at a time, 5 times a day until they are mastered.  It's working!  Music is filling our home with trumpet, piano, and violin lessons.  It's amazing how quickly they are improving with lessons every week.  Josiah has developed a love for Cuisenaire rods and Wedgits.  

From the kitchen...I am trying to find ways to use our fresh parsley.  Watch for a favorite recipe soon!  I am also trying to stop using chocolate, switch from canola to coconut and grapeseed oil, and cut down on sugar.  One child is insisting on eating baked potatoes for breakfast.  She's never liked cereal much, but now I agree.  It's not the best start for the day. 

I am wearing...a sleeveless top, to celebrate the heat wave.  

I am creating...lesson plans for fall, in pencil.  Just something to start with and see how it goes.  

I am going...to pick up Micah from church camp tonight!!  

I am reading...Life Skills for Kids.  Instructors' guides.  Parts of Living By the Book for Bible study.  The Care and Keeping of You and Anne of Green Gables to Rachel (a shortened version).  Rapunzel to Josiah, repeatedly, after watching the movie TangledTorches of Joy, a book from Core F for fall. 

I am hoping...in God and His promises, encouraged greatly by the life of Abraham.  I'm also hoping that in two more weeks, I will lose my thumb splint!  

I am hearing...the pitter pat of 4-year-old feet on the kitchen floor.  My youngest is the only one home this morning. 

Around the house...we'd like to paint Rachel's room.  I'm glad we've put it off, though, as she changed her mind about the color.  We really need to paint a lot of rooms, but hers will be a good one to check off the list next.  Never mind that it was just painted last summer.  I'm not overly fond of gray, either.  

One of my favorite things...time for Josiah to chime in.  Every day since he was two years old, he has thanked God for fireworks and Fourth of July in his prayers.  Here they come again!    

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:  Plans?  For once, I have very few.

Here are two pictures I am sharing... 




I am taking part in the Simple Woman's Daybook.

2 comments:

Amy Nelson said...

Stop using chocolate????? Say it ain't so!! I am running for the hills...ur I mean chocolate chips :)

leahjoy1 said...

I wish it weren't so. I really feel so much better when I don't eat it, though. I thought maybe just once a week, but then I made cookies and couldn't not eat them. So of course, now I am craving it like crazy.

Enjoy your chocolate chips on my behalf!