Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rachel takes the lead by a slim margin

This tops the charts for the sickest fall we have ever had! After both kids had over 20 missed school days last year (that was each!), I thought we were a shoo-in for a mild winter in terms of illness. At this point, haven't they had it all?

Now, only 50 days into a new school year, my kids have managed to make sure at least one of them is home with me at least half the time. Micah has missed 13 1/2 days, Rachel 14.

It's been a tough fall for Micah because of allergy issues which have led to sinus infections. He finally went to see an ENT and had a CT scan yesterday. We go back for the results next week. My hope is now that everything froze, he'll be healthier. But when you've been sick as often as he has over the past 2 years, it's time to get it checked out.

The news might be a little better for Rachel. After a year and a half of tummy troubles, we think we've narrowed the culprit down to milk. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be all milk, but since we aren't quite sure what she can and can't tolerate, she's staying away completely from now on. The bad news is, it takes at least 4 days for her to get over it every time, which knocked her out for most of this week. We do meet with the Dr. next week to go over all of Rachel's issues and see where to go from here.

Josiah, who won the award for sickest baby, is now our healthy boy. I have to be thankful for that silver lining!!

Now, for that mild winter we were hoping for...

Scratch that. I'd rather learn to take whatever God gives, and lean on Him through it. Sick kids or not, I'm finding that's the best place to be.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, you all have been through the mill. Still praying, here. Thankful that you know what is causing it! I am so glad to hear that it is not Crohn's or something of that ilk. Katy just LOVES goat cheese and vanilla almond milk (although not together...) =) Can Rachel do that?

leah said...

Rachel loves vanilla soy milk, and that has calcium so I'm happy she likes it. She was doing coconut milk but no added calcium there. Goat cheese, huh? I'll have to think about it, but I don't think I'll try it until we are off school a mighty long time.

She's into day 5 and still in distress. Poor girl!