Friday, October 8, 2010

new power-packed snack idea

Homemade Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas), rinsed, drained, and pureed in food processor
1/3 c. tahini sesame paste
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (I didn't use any, and added cumin to season)
Season with (choose one or any combination): 1/2 t. cumin, 2 oz. jalepano pepper, 1/2 c. fresh parsley leaves, some fresh basil, roasted red peppers, garlic, fresh veggies, or whatever else you like.
Stir ingredients until blended. Stuff contents into pita bread and enjoy! Store hummus in refrigerator.
Josiah doesn't eat much meat, but this is high in iron and protein. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can sneak into this recipe.
A big thanks to Aunt Amy's low sugar snack ideas which inspired us on this one!!
Sorry this post is smashed together. I cannot figure out how to fix it!

2 comments:

Joshua said...

I think I will have to make hummus sometime. It seems lots of kids like it. I am afraid just the name "hummus" will scare off my kiddos. Perhaps I should call it "tastes like m-n-m's"? LOL

leah said...

Love it! "Tastes like M&M's" might be false advertizing, though. :) "Bean dip" or "healthy paste" probably won't work too well, either.

Athenos makes some really good hummus and they have lots of varieties. We just didn't want to do the MSG. Josiah used to eat their roasted red pepper.

If you want to borrow some tahini from me before buying a whole jar (and then finding out you don't like it), just let me know. Someone also told me you can substitute peanut butter if they don't like the sesame taste of tahini.

Let me know what your kids think!