Saturday, October 11, 2008

True Woman 08

"I'm not quite sure how I got signed up for this conference." That was my thought in the weeks leading up to True Woman 08, and I have to admit I had a reluctant heart that God in His mercy did melt over the final weeks before attending. I had little interest when our church announced a group would be going and at the time was feeling a bit overwhelmed by life...we had just moved and come off a difficult winter of health issues with our toddler. But Eric came home after hearing about it at church (as I recall I was home with a sick baby that day) and told me he wanted me to go. I thought about it and prayed for almost a month before signing up...reluctantly.

True Woman 08 began on Thursday night with John Piper as the first keynote speaker. Not a bad way to start a conference, and his assumption that wimpy theology produces wimpy women did grab me from the get-go. As the conference unfolded Friday morning I realized that it was no accident that I was there, but a privileged, divine appointment. The feminist movement which began in the late 1950's (though the seeds had been planted much earlier) produced a cultural revolution that has ravaged our society and families and churches. Over 6000 women met together in Schaumburg IL this weekend with the intention to return to what God has to say about womanhood. We got no cookie cutter molds nor rules of "Biblical femininity" but instead powerful, dynamic, Spirit-filled teaching on what it means to surrender to the authority to God's Word and learn what He says about womanhood.

After many meaty meals of Biblical teaching, the conference culminated this morning with women signing their name to the True Woman Manifesto. This is not a document for the faint of heart. To see a copy, you can look at www.truewoman08.com and even sign it electronically. It is our earnest hope to see God begin a counter-cultural revolution in His church that will impact our society for His eternal glory and the good of His people.

I have been to many good, equipping conferences in my life but never have I said when I have attended one, "God was there." I can say that after attending this one. I'm grateful God nudged me to show up as well for "such a time as this."

No comments: