Tuesday, November 20, 2012

truths for bumpy Rhodes

 In the midst of a busy household, I've been trying to listen for the quiet voice of God as He speaks to my heart.  This fall I've been troubled that I've not been able to give all of the kids more direction in their spiritual lives.  Making sure we are in the word and praying together as a family each morning before we start our day has become a bigger priority.
 
Enter some ideas He's given recently.
 
Stones of Remembrance
After crossing the Jordan River at flood stage in Joshua 4, the people of Israel were instructed to remove stones from the middle of the river as a remembrance of God's mighty acts among them.  He wanted this to be a testimony to their children and the generations yet to come.
 
We cut out stones and wrote down some of the mighty acts of God in our lives.  This exercise went from being mainly academic straight to my heart when I read my children's stones.
 
 
Josiah's stones

 
Rachel's stones

 
My stones
 
 
God's Names 
 
For Bible we began to work through the book God's Names by Sally Michael.  Each child is constructing a poster of His names as we learn them. 

 
Josiah's poster--he says he thinks about the names of God at night when it is dark and scary.

 
"Enlarging God in a sinful world" complete with magnifying glass on Rachel's poster. How these children touch my heart!
 
(Both of Micah's projects are still in progress.)
 
Eric has been experiencing some intense leg pain in a muscle behind his knee.  Last week the doctor sent him to the hospital, suspecting a blood clot could be the cause.  As anxiety rushed through my body, the names of God and His mighty acts entered my mind just as quickly.  The remembrance of both quieted my fears and focused me on the One who has all things in His hands no matter the outcome. 
 
Good news, no blood clot.
 
I was later able to share with the kids how our discoveries had been a comfort to me.
 
These lessons are far from academic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those lessons may be far from academic but oh so necessary. Great ideas