Sunday, November 18, 2012

having a party

Saturday was Josiah's birthday party.  Airplanes was an easy theme to choose for this boy.  The camouflage decor was a Walmart find I was not expecting but thankful to discover.
 
 
Setting the table after an evening and morning of saying, "No, it's not time to do that yet."  It's finally time!

 
Rachel brought this cake pan home from a 4-H auction knowing how much Josiah would like it.  I debated a lot about what kind of cake to make, and finally decided to do Cha Cha's coconut flour recipe.  I knew how that one would turn out!  The frosting was another story, a bit on the drippy side.  We tried pureed spinach to turn it green.  The flavor was fine--you are adding it to sugar and margarine, after all!  It really matched the camo decorations but one boy eyed it suspiciously.  "Are you sure that cake is good?"  He did try it, and the other two devoured either an entire piece or frosting only.  So really, I think it was a hit.  The rock candy rocket thrusters are almost invisible but were so fun. 

 
Two of the little boys Josiah invited burst through our door shouting "This is going to be the best party EVER!" No pressure regarding those high expectations.  It looks like they might be enjoying themselves, though?

 
Sorry about your head, Eric.  Other than that, I love this picture.  Especially M's face!

 
Micah crushed up the rock candy so everyone could have some.  Root beer from Whole Foods was another special delight.

 
Then for the best party ever moments.  I had all kinds of ideas in mind, but flying paper airplanes was first on the list.  Eric was the master designer and let the kids pick out their model from a book.

 
Oh, how they loved it!  And the weather...a perfectly warmish November day.

 
The boys came back for more and more.  It kept Eric busy.

 
And sent Eric to the roof to fetch airplanes off several times.  We didn't even get to anything else on my list, the boys had so much fun.  They flew planes for an hour and a half!
 
It was the best party ever, and the simplest one we ever hosted.  Happy birthday, Josiah!!  Just a few more days until the real thing.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a success

chacha said...

Oh how I love your stones! What a wonderful idea. I might steal that idea and add real stones to a basket. Sometimes I need tangible reminders.

I love seeing a very happy birthday boy and getting a glimpse of the party. That icing matched the table decorations perfectly!

You are a great mom doing great work!

leah said...

I love the idea of putting stones in a basket. Our construction paper will fade quickly! This is why it is good to be friends with people who are more creative than I am. :)

I did not realize how much difference a tangible reminder would make.