Saturday, November 10, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today: November 10, 2012
Outside my window...it was a rare, warm, beautiful November day, perfect for raking leaves, which we did at two separate homes today.  We have no trees in our yard.  Have rake, will travel!

I am thinking...that this friend has got it right.  And repenting of throwing up every fun curriculum tool I've found to use with my kids.  The precious moments together, as we learn more and more about God's amazing world, have been the most valuable part of this journey.

I am thankful...so thankful, to find that God truly can be trusted to give the equipping and emotions as He has called me to new ministry areas. 

In the kitchen...after one year, gluten free is becoming our new normal.  There is no doubt this has been Josiah's best year yet, and my attempts to reintroduce gluten for myself over the past couple of weeks have meant digestive discomfort and eczema flare ups.  It is nowhere near as horrible as some may experience, but showing me it's well worth the trouble.  Today's new recipe was banana muffins, and Eric was the chef.  They tasted great.  Our biggest problem is that the kids eat faster than we can bake.

I am creating...shh...something that has to do with the book of Jeremiah.  Trusting that whatever happens with it, God will reveal His heart to me more fully and allow me to share His truth with others.

I am going...to hold on to God for dear life as we pray and follow His leading on high school decisions.  Everyone has their own opinions, and they are all very helpful, but it has shown us how necessary it will be to listen for His voice.

I am wondering...how to make gluten free hamburger buns.   This is reminding me of a recipe I need to look up.

I am reading...Spiritual Mothering by Susan Hunt.  It is a gem of a book.  That reminds me, I need to finish two more chapters by Monday night.

I am hoping...to see some very dear friends over Christmas break.  Whenever I see them, it's as if they still live just down the street.  Some friendships are like that. What a blessing.

I am looking forward to...a little boy's first birthday party with just friends.  And I love google.  There is no way I could come up with such fun ideas on my own.  His theme is airplanes.

I am learning...as I seek to discern God's will, what He is doing often has far more to do with what is in my heart than the choice between one decision or another.  When I sense He may be uprooting idols, dealing with sin, or reshuffling priorities, I aim for the hard choice and trust He will do what He will do.

Around the house...we sometimes find that replacing light bulbs can become a full time job.

A favorite quote for today..."I am the Lord's servant.  May it be to me as you have said."  Luke 1:38  This verse spoke to me years ago, and I continue to cling to it.

One of my favorite things...is homemade chili in the crockpot for supper, and the hug from Josiah for making his own special batch, which he ate with much relish.  Hooray for stage 2, even if a little goes a long way!

I am pondering...how to shave some money off our grocery bill.  That may make some other entries make more sense.  Or cents.

A few plans for the rest of the week: come up with a gluten free birthday cake recipe, rather than spend $6.50 on a mix, so that my son can have a rocket ship cake.  Then figure out how to decorate it with natural food coloring and candy that he can actually eat.  It's a tall order, but he will be thrilled no matter what.  You gotta love kids.

A peek into my day...

Cousins, sharing a love of dinosaurs at the science center!

3 comments:

jennifer anderson said...

good luck on saving money, grocery prices have gone sky high!

leah said...

I know...being gluten free makes it even harder, but I do have some ideas to try.

chacha said...

Love this peek into your world now. :-)