Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Jackson and the Tetons

I think this all started a couple of years ago, when I was reading Jill Savage's book Living with Less so Your Family Has More.  Packed with sound financial advice, I found a unique nugget of an idea to chew on: sit down and make a chart of each year, your children's ages, and another list of where you would like to go on vacation.  Next Jill wrote,

"Living on a limited income, we could only take a major trip every two to three years, so we whittled down our list to what we could realistically afford.  We then plugged the trip into our table according to when our children would be at appropriate ages to enjoy it to the fullest.  And then we began to work on our plan, saving money and researching the experience so we could really maximize the fun while minimizing our budget."

When Eric and I sat down together two years ago to talk about trips we'd like to take with our children before they were gone, we were first of all amazed to consider we had 7 years left until our oldest would be out of high school.  We had two destinations in mind in particular: a trip out West to see mountains and one out East to see historic sites and the ocean.  (I love how Jill describes these vacations as field trips, as they are not exactly relaxing!!)  We started putting a little money away each month, scaled back our yearly vacation plans, researched routes (my job) and watched our vacation savings grow.

Our original plan was to visit Colorado, but last May in school the kids and I read about Yellowstone and our curiosity was piqued.  Plans can change, and they did.  When I began to look at our route and talk to my parents, it became apparent there was a lot to be seen on such a trip.  It was so much fun to have my parents along with us!

An arch made out of antlers in Jackson?  You can get chandeliers, too!  Mom and Dad (or should I say Nana and Poppa?) with the kids.

We tried not to do too many expensive activities, but horseback riding was definitely in the budget. Josiah was too young to do a trail ride, so I stayed back with him for a lead around.  He was delighted to help feed
the horses, and the ranch hand was incredibly patient with him.
Rachel loved it--her horse was named Wyatt.  It was her choice to wear a helmet for the ride.

Micah took along the money he had saved from babysitting this summer and used it to buy a cowboy hat.  There is a whole store devoted to hats in Jackson!  We evantually found one for each child and they really helped keep the sun off their faces for the remainder of the trip.

Eric and my mom join the riders.

Now my dad; ready to go!


  
Josiah had a gentle horse named Brownie.


Eric and I both loved the Tetons--this wins the award for most beautiful picnic spot ever!

A last glimpse as we headed for our next destination: Yellowstone!

Traveling gluten free was simply a matter of planning ahead.  We found a Five Guys in Omaha for supper one night.  My kids love it because it is the one place we can find french fries that are both gluten free and no preservatives.  Jackson was a rather "crunchy" town and we took advantage of the Lotus Cafe where Josiah enjoyed nachos made with blue corn chips and Daiya cheese and then Jackson Whole Grocer to stock up on food to prepare at our cabin.

2 comments:

NinjaPrincess said...

My parents are currently on a similar vacation and are sending us pictures/videos each morning. My kids love to see where Nana and Papa have been each day. A few days ago, they sent us a picture of the antler arch in Jackson! :)

leah said...

That's so fun that they were just at the same antler arch!! I hope they have a great time, too.