Sunday, June 3, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook

For today, June 3, 2012



Outside my window...it is a perfect Goldilocks day: not too hot, not too cold, but just right.  There are 2 children here asking to take a long bike ride before the day is done.  Since the youngest, who can handle short rides with his training wheels, is currently at Grandma and Grandpa's house, it is a good time to say yes to this request!

I am thankful...for friends I have never met.  Funny how things like diet changes can bring people together who don't even live near each other. 

In the kitchen...we are still finishing up the leftovers from our cultural night on Friday.  If you are looking for something a little different, we really liked this cashew curry recipe which we tried for the first time.  The Austrialian and Iceberg cookies are mostly gone, all the Korean food vanished, and we will be eating leftover samosas for days--we ordered just a few too many, but we are not going to complain since they are a favorite.  In the meantime, I am looking forward to a trip to the library tomorrow to check out some gluten free and Asian cookbooks.  Sometimes, those things can be one and the same, minus the samosas. 

I am wearing...yellow.  I think it is the color of joy, and therefore this is my favorite shirt.

I am creating...a plan for the next school year.  It has been fun to piece it together.  Rachel is going to do Sonlight's Core D+E because there were just too many good books to skip it before moving on.  The extra time she will have with a little lighter reading will allow us more time to spend on some other areas.  Micah is going to study World History Part 2, Core H, since he had ancient history in sixth grade.  Josiah starts kindergarten in Core A.  He is most interested in doing science experiments.  It looks to be a busy year! Meanwhile, I can tell they need a bit of a break this summer, and the teacher is ready for one, too.  We do have a few things to work on every day, and I know they will read!

I am wondering...what prompted one of Micah's former classmates to call him up and come over today after not seeing him for a year.  It is good to hear the basketball bouncing and other teenage boy sounds coming in through the screen door.  And it reminds me to be praying to be a family of godly influence as my children come into contact with people from all walks of life.

I am reading...several things at once, as usual.  At the top of my list are the books Invitation to Solitude and Silence by Ruth Haley Barton and Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray.  This summer my goal is to learn anew how to sit at Jesus' feet and adore Him, finding in His person the power to live each day wholly for Him.  While I can't endorse everything in Barton's book, I do find it quite helpful.  Her analogy of allowing a jar of muddy water to settle so that the dirt eventually rests on the bottom and the pure water rises to the top is so helpful when it comes to slowing down and giving the Lord time to speak to us about the perplexities of life.

I am hoping...to spend less time in front of the computer and more time engaging fully in the moment as I serve and live with my family this summer.

I am looking forward to...seeing my little boy when he comes home tomorrow!!!

I am learning...to let go of my agenda and embrace God's.  When I do that, His plans become mine, and they are better than anything I could have ever thought up myself.

Around the house...we made it through a garage sale, packed up our school notebooks and binders for the year, and are getting ready for a used curriculum sale in a few weeks.  This week my goal is to clean out our desks.  The clutter is disappearing.  Then on to some painting!  Is there ever an end to painting when you have children at home?

I am pondering...the reality of college.  Somehow, something that was once a nebulous idea is becoming a bit more tangible.  Micah received his first college pamphlet in the mail this week.  It does seem early, but yes, he sent for it because he wanted to know more.  What does God have in store for his future?  It is five years away, but will be here in a blink.  It makes me want to savor every moment even more.  This is another reason next year will be a precious time for our family.  Once he hits high school...

A favorite quote for today..."Because we do not rest we lose our way...Poisoned by the hypnotic belief that good things come only through unceasing determination and tireless effort, we can never truly rest.  And for want of rest our lives are in danger."  Wayne Muller

One of my favorite things...is leading women in the study of God's word.  I love learning more as they share the insights God has given them.

A few plans for the rest of the week: This will be our quietest week this summer.  Besides an eye appointment and music lessons, the only thing that starts this week is Bible study. 

A peek into my day... when I leave my camera unattended, I come back to find pictures like this on it.


I am taking part in The Simple Woman's Daybook.

2 comments:

chacha said...

What a wonderful glimpse into your day and what a nice day it was. Hope you got off the computer and onto your bike. =D

I, too, am thankful for friends unmet.

leah said...

We did enjoy a nice bike ride. It was cut a little shorter than we hoped because it was threatening rain, but we made it home through just a few sprinkles.