Saturday, May 29, 2010

"words to grow on"

My kids, like most, are pretty good at tearing their siblings down with their words. I tried to think of an idea to help encourage them to use their words to build each other up, and came up with this...

All you need is a small clay flowerpot, some craft paint, brushes, and stickers.

The kids had a ball painting their pots. Mom and Dad have one, too.


All done...and isn't this the sweetest face ever?


The more stickers, the better...

Micah: "Mom, what a great idea. I really need help with this (building others up.)"

Rachel: "Put this on your newsletter so other people can do it, too!"

Now the next step: cut out small pieces of paper and let the kids and parents write notes to each other that are encouraging. They can say things like, "I really liked it today when you..." or "I'm so glad you..." Place each note in the pot designated for that person. Check the pots at the end of the day and read the notes.

I'm hoping the kind words and behaviors will flow more naturally as we do this for each other.

1 Thess. 5:11 "Encourage one another and build each other up..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it! And I'd love to hear how some reports from the front lines. :)