Friday, May 29, 2009

not the road I anticipated

From the time my first son was born, I anticipated homeschooling my children. I read books, looked at magazines, scoured the library, ate and breathed homeschooling. Home was structured as a learning environment, and I did get to homeschool Micah through preschool.

All through those early years of my children being born and growing up into preschoolers, I simply assumed homeschooling was God's best way of educating children, so I never thought to ask Him what He'd like us to do. So it was rather odd when I woke up one winter morning just before Micah's kindergarten year with the strong impression that God had another idea.

God had been on the move in my life, so while I wouldn't necessarily counsel anyone to live by strong impressions, I did get on my knees, pull out my Bible, and searched out the mind of God on what He might be asking us to do. Eric and I talked, I visited the school whose name was on my heart and mind, and we wrestled over the decision. Finally, we enrolled Micah at Calvary Baptist Academy with much fear and trembling.

I remember the first day of kindergarten vividly. The teacher invited the parents to the classroom for a story, after which we had say goodbye, turn around, and walk out the door. I knew I'd left my son with a woman who would take great care of him (the woman who this year was Rachel's second grade teacher), but it was a separation I had not anticipated making so soon. The first day I dropped him off at school and watched him walk in on his own made my heart swell with pride and break at the same time.

Yet God's ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts. After 5 years at CBA, I can see in many ways how God has blessed our family through my children's enrollment there. While I can't recount them all here, I can name a few. It has allowed me to participate in ministry that I feel as called to do as I might feel about mission work (not the reason this decision was originally made but instead an unexpected consequence of it), it has brought people and friends into my children's lives who have modelled the example and love of Christ to them, and has given them a firm foundation on which to build what I hope and pray will be godly lives. They've been stretched academically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Many friends and family members homeschool and as that is still where my heart is, I gladly support their amazing efforts. I hope I am less likely to judge anyone for their schooling choices so long as they are following God's call, for my view on homeschooling was very narrow before I felt God's leading in our own decisions.

With such a great experience at Calvary, it has been another hard year as we have again wrestled with how God is leading on Micah's schooling. How could we ever think of taking him away from such a positive learning environment? Yet in my heart and Eric's is a growing yearning for our children to learn to shine the light of Christ in the world in which we live. We want them to learn to make godly choices in their friendships, lifestyle choices, and Christian witness while they are still under our roof and influence. And I want them most of all to learn to engage our culture with the truth of Christ. Micah has expressed a desire to be a witness, and so again with much prayer, we feel God has guided us to enroll him in public school.

This morning we took a walk down to Prairieland Elementary to get a glimpse of the students at their play day. We were directed to the office where a friendly secretary greeted us and took us on an impromptu tour of the school. I had met with the principal a few months back for the same tour, but this was Micah's chance to see for himself just what he had to look forward to. His eyes began to take on some excitement as he looked over the library, computer lab, the classroom pods, the gym...and heard a few of the things 5th grade had in store. It seemed that wherever we went, we ran into kids and parents we already knew, and I observed teachers who really look into their student's eyes and care about them as a person.

I can't know where we are headed next! What did Moses' mother know of God's plan for him when she placed her infant son in a basket of reeds and watched him float away down the Nile? Yet I think her heart yearned for a few of the things God had in mind. God gave her son back to her for a time, back to Israel for a legacy. Had she held on to him as she would have desired, he would have been gone from her forever.

What a privilege it is to parent a child while placing him into the hands of God!

Isaiah 30:21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."


Micah with Mrs. Hodge. I can't imagine how we could have done 4th grade without her! She set high standards in a loving way and the kids couldn't help but want to meet them.

Rachel with Mrs. Heidebrink. Rachel wrote in her note, "You're the best teacher I ever had." I'm so blessed that both of the kids have been able to have her. She is FUN, a great teacher, and truly loves those kids!

Micah's awards for Book It!, scholarship, and the Voracious Reader award "for reading almost everything in sight."

Rachel's awards for Book It and "Two peas in a pod," describing her relationship with her best friend at school.

No comments: