Wednesday, May 13, 2009

layman's Bible study

As I led my group in their last discussion at BSF this week, one of the comments of a woman in my group gripped my heart. "I want to get into the Bible in a way that will get the Bible into me." I couldn't agree more! Knowing God is the passion of my life, and living out the truths of the Bible through the power of the Holy Spirit is to experience firsthand the knowledge of God.

Do you have that desire? If we are to be students of God's word, I pray that it is to be transformed in our thinking so that our lives more fully reflect the holiness of God in Christ. Otherwise we gain only head knowledge, which at best only puffs us up. What I'd like to offer is the three question method of Bible study learned through my years in BSF, which has opened my eyes to knowing God in His word.

Question 1: What is this passage about?
This is analyzing the content of the passage. It's the who? what? where? when? of Bible study. Who are the people involved? Where are they? When did it take place? It is where observations of the passage begin.

Question 2: What do I learn from this passage?
This is where we learn the lessons of scripture.
Is there a warning, command, or promise?
An example to follow or not follow?
What is the main truth of this passage?
Is there a lesson, principle, or universal truth?
What does this passage reveal about the character of God?
Are there specific things for which to pray?
Is there a new or encouraging thought?
Concentrate on one or two things that are especially meaningful.

Question 3: How can I apply what I learned to my life?
I have found that so many Bible studies and preaching end with lessons. But how do I get the Bible into my life?? This is application.
Am I facing a current similar situation? Ask myself a question that demands action regarding that situation based on the lessons learned.
Write down your answer.
Begin to do what you wrote down.

As I prepare a study on Colossians for church, I'll try to provide an example of the three question method at work!

"Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth." Ps. 86:11

No comments: