Wednesday, January 2, 2013

getting busy in the kitchen

Ah, January is here.  The holiday baking rush is over, the kitchen is clean, and my resolution is made.  Time to stop complaining about the difficulties of eating and start digging into cookbooks for new ideas.

Actually, things look much rosier than they did just a few weeks ago.  Rachel's latest digestive issues seem to be directly related to red meat, and she's been feeling much better now that we have closed that case.  A test of dairy today even seems to be going well.  We have also added things like peppermint oil and digestive enzymes to her mealtime fun, and those have calmed her tummy down considerably.

However, for Josiah and I things remain tough.  He has his usual tricky food issues, and I've discovered that eating gluten is truly not something I want to do.  After spending 6 months mostly off, my body has developed a very closed mind to the idea of anything closely resembling wheat.  It is NOT FUN if I indulge.

That's where the cookbooks enter in.

Eric surprised me with Special Diets for Special Kids for Christmas.  The pictures, the kid-friendly food, the extra information on special diets all make for a great source of information.
Special Diets for Special Kids, Volumes 1 and 2 Combined: Over 200 REVISED and NEW gluten-free casein-free recipes, plus research on the positive ... ADHD, allergies, celiac disease, and more!
 
Another tool to added to my toolbox this Christmas is a tortilla press.  I can't wait to try making some GF soft tortillas.  I was hoping to do corn, but that hasn't been working well for me either lately, so rice flour will have to do.  

But tonight, I turned to a cookbook sent to me a few months ago by a friend: Gluten-Free on a Shoestring.  I thumbed through it looking for the ever elusive banana pancake recipe.  My past attempts of recipes off the internet have been flops, so I was eager to try again. 

We have a winner! 

Banana Pancakes (adapted from the Banana Muffin recipe in GF on a Shoestring)

2 c. all purpose GF flour
2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt (I never use as much as a recipe calls for)
2 T. sugar
1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c. milk (rice milk tonight)
1 1/2 t. white wine vinegar (I took out the wine part)
2 T. unsalted butter, melted and cooled (dairy free margarine for us, we like Earth Balance Soy Free)
2 ripe bananas diced (we mashed)

Stir together dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients, stirring after each one.  Cook pancakes on hot griddle.

This is a recipe for muffins, and I felt it looked too thick for pancakes.  So I added another egg and a bit more milk.  They were still quite thick but believe me, no one complained!!  In fact, my pancake topped with Eric's cherry raspberry Christmas jam was an unbelievable treat.

Resolution kept so far!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so diligent. Glad you found a recipe that works.

Karen said...

Karen from Canada here from the FG forum. I might start checking your site out for ideas on how to go GF. Thinking about doing it with the kids. Looked at your pancake recipe. Most recipes in GF require the xanthan gum? I will check your site out for bread recipes too.

leah said...

Hi, Karen! This pancake does have Xanthan gum. If you search for pumpkin pancakes, you will find one that does not need it. That recipe is one of our favorites!

Bread has been tricky. Lately I have been using Pamela's mix. However, the pecan bread recipe is another favorite if you search for it.

Let me know if you need more ideas or have more questions. Gluten free is tricky at first but very doable.

leah said...

The Xanthan gum is like glue for GF baking. :)

Karen said...

Thanks Leah! I am so new to the concept and idea of going gluten-free and truly I am not sure I understand yet what gluten is LOL. So, the Xanthan gum, guar gum and other gluten-free ingredients I have never used. I will slowly go into it and give it a try even though I was anti-gluten free initially (in denial to go further in FG). Today was interesting as my DS had no wheat or products that contain gluten until about 1 hour ago. His behaviour was pretty good (even craved less sugar). Within 2 minutes of biting into the bread tonight his behaviour went right up the wall and started doing repetitive movements. I don't know if it is possible to see such a quick reaction. By the grace of God, he stopped eating the bread and tried Ian's gluten-free fish sticks and corn - asking for seconds and a banana. God is so good! We have been praying and asking for the next step - so maybe it is going gluten free. Anyway, thanks for listening and thank you for our blog! :)

leah said...

My last encounter with gluten went through me in 20 minutes, so I think it is very possible to have a quick reaction.

Xanthan gum is expensive but really lasts a long time. I keep it in the freezer and am still on my first bag.

You may be on to something. I really did not want to get on the GF path, either. After a year for my son and six months for me, there is not a lot I miss except convenience. I will pray that God continues to lead you in the right direction.

chacha said...

It was fun to read through some posts and get caught up a bit.

Wow, that sounds like a delicious combo!

Congratulations on your tortilla press! I want to make a non-corn gf tortilla, too. Corn hasn't been my friend either. I'll let you know if I find something wonderful.

Blessings...xo

leah said...

It's good to see you here again, Cha Cha! I hope you're feeling better.

Yes, let me know if you find a good recipe, and I'll do the same here if we get to it first.

Enzymes have helped me enjoy corn again. :)

leah said...

It's good to see you here again, Cha Cha! I hope you're feeling better.

Yes, let me know if you find a good recipe, and I'll do the same here if we get to it first.

Enzymes have helped me enjoy corn again. :)