Friday, February 3, 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook


FOR TODAY, February 3, 2012


Outside my window...it is 52 degrees again!!  I am excited to think about spring but we've barely had winter.  The kids are out on the swing set with no coats.  Yesterday we just laughed at the groundhog's prediction of a longer winter.

I am thinking...a lot more about the persecuted church these days.  Our study of the Eastern Hemisphere has transported us to places and people that we barely knew existed knew a few months ago.  For our study of Vietnam, we watched a video produced by Voice of the Martyrs about 8 teens who visited the underground church there.  It is riveting, and has me thinking about our brothers and sisters in hostile nations more than ever.  And I've finally reached the point I can read their newsletters--it was so disturbing to me at one time I could barely bring myself to open the envelopes.  Now I can't wait to hear the latest stories; what an encouragement they are to my faith.

I am thankful...for a country where we are free to worship without fear of harassment by authorities.

In the kitchen...we tried the gluten free experiment and made it a whole 2 weeks!!  (I know that a real test should take 3-6 months, but at least this was a start.)  The outcome: I found that my heartburn was virtually gone.  Eric felt a little more tired and felt like he had some brain fog after eating it again.  However, work has been stressful for him so he's not sure if it wasn't just the way life is right now.  The biggest help to me was the intensive training on cooking and buying food for Josiah.  I think we will continue to avoid gluten much of the time--it makes cooking for Josiah easier.  However, we're not completely cutting it out if that's not necessary for the rest of us. 

I am wearing...slippers with non-slip soles.  About this time last year I broke my thumb while slipping my way down the stairs.  I thought that perhaps spending a little more for these was better than the money we had to spend on X-rays and physical therapy.

I am creating...not much at the moment.  Our good health broke this week and I've spent most of it trying to quit coughing.  Not much energy left for other things!

I am reading...more Sonlight books!  Last night I finished Ali and the Golden Eagle.  It was a magnificent book in many ways, but thought provoking to think about how western culture is arriving at the doorstep of people who have done things the same way for centuries and are quite content with their way of life.  What does materialism do to cultures like that?  What has it done to us, for that matter?

I am hoping...that the changes I've seen in my eldest son are going to stick and keep coming.  It's quite an adventure of grace watching him grow into a young man.

I am looking forward to...March and empty weekends.  To fill them up, of course.

I am learning...to listen for the still small voice of God even in the midst of busyness.  Genesis says Enoch walked with God after he had many children, so it must be possible!!  It helps when I am immersed in His word and pondering what it means, looking for ways to put it into practice in daily living.  Sometimes it thunders the loudest at night when all other voices have gone to sleep.  "I will praise the Lord who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me." (Ps. 16:7)

Around the house...there are places where I'm trying to remember what the floor looks like.  I find it to vacuum, only to have it disappear again.  Am I the only person with this problem?

From the learning rooms...what really thrills me in homeschooling my children this year is when I give them an assignment and then see them do above and beyond what I have asked because they are so interested in the subject matter.  We are at a time in the year where I am seeing many improvements, and it is so very rewarding.

I am pondering...a summer ministry opportunity for my oldest.  He is ready to give his summer to serving the Lord, and I'm feeling the pull of a little boy suddenly growing up, knowing this is just the beginning.  But would I really rather he stay home and play Wii all summer, or do something that has eternal significance?

A favorite quote for today..."For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power."  (1 Corinthians 4:20)  It's one thing to say I believe certain things, another to really live by them.

One of my favorite things...is my almost 15 year old cat.  She is such a sweet little creature, ready with a purr whenever I stop long enough to pet her.  She spends most of her days camped out on our bed, and she seems to be enjoying her golden years.

A few plans for the rest of the week:  a tumbling class for Josiah and cheerleading for Rachel, followed the next day by a birthday party for 2 nieces.  I really should be grading papers right now.

A peek into my day...my kids have taken to building tents for the dog, who doesn't seem to mind.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow! Lovely journal post today. I really liked what you brought up about hearing that Still Small Voice amid the busyness. I've got to remember that. I enjoyed your blog. Will be back to read more - very encouraging.

Pat said...

I like your verse on your header and also the thought of looking for God in the stillness of a busy day.